Blind aproaches

20 Mar 2020 16:24 #45626 by geed
..and I see a flight night aproaching ... :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Mar 2020 16:35 #45629 by Algernon
Totally up for that!

20 Mar 2020 16:39 #45631 by geed
Another one .. .same guy

Too cool!

I will go and see if we find strips in the scenery ... let's see

21 Mar 2020 12:49 - 21 Mar 2020 12:51 #45667 by Oswald
You might like to try AYCH (Chimbu) and MYX (Menyamya) in Papua Neuguinea. They aren't as hidden as your video examples, but you need a slow speed rather steep approach via a valley nearby, and you only see the airport when you turn in for a very short final.

Not quite realistic: as with many small airfields the rain forest trees get very near to the rwy, therefore you have an obstacle challenge in addition.

Have fun and happy flying!
Oswald

23 Mar 2020 07:59 #45704 by hughesm
In FG might want to check the level of detail in the scenery in FG around some of those strips. I know there are a lot of trees making some of the frame rates down when you get near the strip ( even on my reasonable i7 ) just when you need a good response. I found a couple of the strips impossible ( trees over the strip rather than blind )

There are some great blind strips in Switzerland in FG too - no go-around, just shear mountains

in RW i got my PPL in washington state and used to fly from seatac ( 1985-90, long time ago ) so have hopped onto a few grass strips in the mountains north east of Seattle and on the peninsula but nothing like those. it looked like the go-around plan is to trim the trees with the prop or do a bit of mining to get out.....no thanks, but i guess if you overshoot you can at least do some salmon fishing

23 Mar 2020 15:14 #45713 by Oswald
:cheer:

Good special training for PC-6 Turbo Porter and its peculiar landing behaviour ...

23 Mar 2020 19:25 #45714 by geed
Is FG good enough in simulating an FDM to give us all needed forces and motions to simulate such a situation, meaning, can we go beyond the power curve and actually experience it so that we can react on the planes special behavior in such a power setting?

It shouldn’t be too easy and it should be possible to simulate. And of course, it should be sufficient in simulating the effects we want.

So the PC-6, you’re saying hmm? I will test it.

Other aircraft? What about our Grob and the Commander?

I experienced JSBSim based FDMs giving me more of the typical feedback I expect from an aircraft. Which YASIM based planes would give us the maximum fidelity here?

24 Mar 2020 11:32 #45716 by timi
The default Cessna 172 seems to fly ok with full flaps, nose high and the stall horn
at 40 knots. The guy in the video seems to have some sort of angle of attack indexer
on the dash though which helps to keep close to the stall angle.

24 Mar 2020 11:40 #45717 by timi

24 Mar 2020 13:23 #45718 by geed
Yeah he talked about it and that he uses it every time he is doing this Kind of aproach.

24 Mar 2020 14:19 - 24 Mar 2020 14:21 #45719 by Oswald

So the PC-6, you’re saying hmm? I will test it.

I have been flying the PC-6 a lot, after plenty of training for ground control, take off and landing. Having read a lot about it, I guess it is very realistic, in particular for its behaviour on the ground, while starting and landing (taildragger with large wings and centre of gravity behind the main gear) and not forgiving faults like high ITT, going over Vne etc. You can start and land on very, very short runways, even with steep approaches, you can to very steep descents without getting to fast.

High altitude behaviour is unrealistic, though, see forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35301&hilit=pc6

It is certainly worthwhile to explore further.

Oswald
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds