17th centuary Highland survival.

18 May 2020 18:10 #46707 by StuartC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 May 2020 18:53 #46708 by eagle12
Reminds me of the film Braveheart. One of my favorites and one of the best films by Mel Gibson.

We had once spent our vacation in Scotland. Were in the Lowland and Highland.
Was booked as a castle tour. I think 5 or 6 castles with an overnight stay.
Not cheap but one of my best vacations!

18 May 2020 18:59 #46709 by StuartC
Braveheart, while being entertaining, its fairly inaccurate though.

20 May 2020 02:23 #46734 by eagle12
I have a little time and I still owe you an answer.
I know it and I knew it before your answer Sir Lord Stuart!

I remembered the clothes more. Do you wear a kilt sometimes?
Isn't it too cold under the kilt in the fresh air? Something could be damaged or not.
Which would you prefer?

Attachments:

20 May 2020 07:06 - 20 May 2020 07:33 #46738 by StuartC
The bottom one is a modern dress Kilt. I prefer Jacobite kilt style

In the 13th century the Kilt was not worn by Scots, it was introduced much later. So, Braveheart was most likely not to dress like that. The Sword is correct, thats a traditional Highland Claymore Broadsword. In the film. A Lowland Claymore was different arround the guard ( more curved ) like this :-

If you are interested, this film is technicaly the sequal to Braveheart. Robert The Bruce is playes by the same actor, and its a lot more factually correct.

20 May 2020 07:25 - 20 May 2020 07:28 #46740 by Algernon
My friend shares your preference, there is a great photo of him at a wedding standing between two guys in the dress style, but he's wearing the Jacobite kilt style and shirt* and I thought it looked better.

*Update: Ghillie shirt. Just remembered its name.

20 May 2020 12:07 #46744 by Avionyx
An interesting watch. I've always had an interest in general bushcraft and the wilderness. Great to see that most of the stuff still used is very much the same as it was since the 13th century and before.

20 May 2020 12:25 #46746 by StuartC
I should also mention that William Wallace was a Lowlander, from Ayrshire. The Bruce family also originated from my area, 30 miles away. The Took land in the central belt after killing the Clan chieftons ( There is a scene in braveheart where Robert the Bruce tells his father of the rebellion and the Father says Robert should support it from their lands in the North, and he will oppose it from their lands in the South ).
Just 6 miles away we have a living relative of Wallace. Hes rather well off, lives here:- www.scottish-places.info/features/featurefirst17153.html

20 May 2020 12:31 #46747 by eagle12
So Stuart that looks really cool. I would dare to wear that too. But not in Germany. When I'm in Scotland again.
Wow, thanks for the trailer looks promising. It will definitely be on Amazon prime soon.

Now the biggest laugh is coming. I bought this sword maybe 20 years ago. Still hanging in the living room. Oh now everyone is definitely laughing at me.

@Algy
I think you're swedish weird. But my wife says you can't be swedish (much too pronounced accent)
Attachments:

20 May 2020 12:43 #46749 by StuartC
It is what it is, a Movie sword, just like the Atlatean Sword from Conan the Barbarian

This video goes some way to explaining the different types.

The following user(s) said Thank You: eagle12

20 May 2020 12:48 #46750 by timi
The following user(s) said Thank You: eagle12

20 May 2020 13:26 #46751 by eagle12
The sword movie was very interesting !
And I had never seen the original from William Wallace !

@Timi
;)

20 May 2020 14:20 #46753 by StuartC
If you look at the original Wallace blade, you see it had curved guards, like I showed you for the lowland sword, which would tie in with his origins in Ayrshire.

20 May 2020 18:41 #46757 by eagle12
Yes, I saw Stuart. Thank you for the information !

However, I have found an article where it is said that experts doubt that this was the sword of William Wallace. Because the blade does not fit in historical times for example.
Please scroll to the photo of the sword and translate the text.
But maybe it's unclear or not.

https://www.myhighlands.de/national-wallace-monument/

20 May 2020 19:25 #46758 by StuartC
Its hard to believe that the sword would have remained in royal possession for so long. Likely a captured sword would have been re used, or melted down and made into another sword or something else. The only way it would have survived is if it had been recovered buy an ally of wallace and hidden, or used by them ( look an me I have the Sword of William Wallace !! ).

20 May 2020 20:25 #46759 by eagle12
What, are you kidding? You have it !!!

20 May 2020 20:32 #46760 by StuartC
Hell no.

20 May 2020 20:41 #46761 by eagle12
Pity. That would probably be priceless

21 May 2020 07:00 #46762 by StuartC

21 May 2020 13:19 #46763 by eagle12
The report is interesting! The movie shows that Wallace is a peasant son. However, he is raised by his uncle Argyle, who is not a peasant. So it is pointed out in the film that Wallace also has noble blood. What is not mentioned in the report !!!

The battle for Stirling Castle is almost all right, but the movie very well shows that the battle won with intelligence from Wallace is too sharp for the criticism of the report.

Otherwise, the report is very good. Of course you can always criticize everything and make the movie bad.

The fact is that Mel Gibson made the movie (most likely no European would have made it). So no German would know who William Wallace was unless the people studied history (and this also applies to other countries).

That could have been commended in the report for example !!!

It was not for nothing that the movie was awarded 5 oscars best movie best director.
The movie grossed $ 210 million worldwide. If that's not an indication that Wallace became known around the world!

It's fun Stuart I like it. :)

Time to create page: 1.027 seconds