ARSE !

21 Dec 2020 08:30 #49250 by StuartC
Well last night both my secondary hard drives decided to make them self Read only.
Attempts to correct that are automatically being undone again as fast as they written.
I was in FG At Blackpool, when to respawn on Iceland and FG told me it was missing files. Went investigating and all .exe files in my FG folder were gone. Went to copy them from my other drive and thats when I noticed the drives were set as Read only.
No ide how or why, but at the current moment, I am without any access to FG or any other sim or game installed on those drives.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Dec 2020 09:27 #49251 by Porcius
Sounds like a Trojan or Ransomware infection but could be something else, as I'm no expert.
Run a Virus check and run malwarebytes as well.

Good Luck matey !

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

21 Dec 2020 12:11 #49253 by Vodoun da Vinci
:( :pinch:

Uh Oh....Sounds like an attack.

VooDoo

21 Dec 2020 12:28 #49254 by StuartC
system is clean. Thhe Primary HD where windows is installed is fine. The other 2 drives, including the new one installed last tuesday defaut every folder you create on them to read only and you cant remove the attribute. I have even flattened and repartitioned one of the drives, but it still does it.

21 Dec 2020 13:48 #49256 by Porcius
Ah ha ! - I read some where, coz I was looking for a new external drive, that some makers are shipping their drives with inbuilt software that 'protects' the files for security.
Didn't read too much more but that's what it sounds like to me ?

You need to do some research, by the look of it, moosh.

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

21 Dec 2020 13:55 #49257 by StuartC
Its not that. It was fine and normal ( both secondary drives ) till last night.

21 Dec 2020 21:10 #49264 by geed
Do you have another machine at hand? Maybe a linux OS?
Try changing the hard drive to that machine and mounting it there. Maybe you can at least copy that data onto another drive.

21 Dec 2020 22:16 #49267 by StuartC
Well the SSD got hosed, re partitioned and re formatted, and the issues re appeared with the first directory I created on it.
So, I have hacked my own PC. Even though everything says its read only, its not.
FG reinstalled and working on reinstalling my other sims and stuff.

22 Dec 2020 11:15 #49273 by F-JMB
Note that this can also be a sign that the drive is failing: when there are too many I/O errors the OS switches to read-only so that you don't find the hard way that data you thought you had written is no longer readable…

22 Dec 2020 11:25 #49274 by StuartC
Brand new SSD, 1 week old. and my original Secondary HD that was fitted to the this PC from new ( almost exactly 1 year old ). Both went read only at the same time.

22 Dec 2020 15:06 #49281 by geed
As an example: Consumer SSD is a completely different ball game than professional ones. We pay up to 1000 EUR for an SSD HD for our servers whereas the consumers pays 120 EUR for an SSD of the same size.

Numbers are not high, luckily, but they can fail after a short time.

People tend to forget that as the market is getting flooded with SSD hard drives.

22 Dec 2020 15:09 #49282 by geed
A good strategy could be to host the OS on the SSD and the data on a NAS class HD as a WD Red for instance. And even better would be a NAS or at least an external swappable version of a, let's say, 4TB WD Red to be able to always have one HD with the latest backup at hand.

22 Dec 2020 17:56 #49289 by StuartC
OS is on an SSD
The second HD was a standard HD. Both came with the PC>
Added a 2tb SSD last week , so I have 3 drives in the PC.

22 Dec 2020 20:30 #49293 by sanni
I don't know much about windows, but if you can do partioning and formatting it can't be blocked...

Can you write as administrator/root?
Where are the settings for read/write operations and what do they say (for admin and users)?
If you can write as admin, create a new user and try if this new user can write...

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds