Canvas/SVG

18 May 2020 11:25 - 18 May 2020 11:38 #46705 by Algernon
Some assistance from those who've already started working with Canvas would be appreciated :)

I've decided to start learning it with something small and relative simple - one of the LCD matrix buttons from the Eurofighter. I've built one in Blender:

The button has a little LCD matrix with two lines of text, each being, I think, four characters long for those found on the head up panel (controlling HUD functions), left glareshield panel (computer functions) and MFDD frames (MFD page/overlay selection). There are also three bars, one at the top, one at the bottom, and one between the line of text, used to show function selection by "lighting up" in a number of combinations.

I'd like to try and bring the matrix to life using Canvas, and I'm assuming that I can use SVG for this. I'd need two text elements for the character matrix lines, and three simple rectangular elements for the bars. These should be illuminated and dimmable.

Could somebody suggest a starting point and a direction of travel please?

Much obliged!! :)

Update: Oh yeah, and the text needs to be dynamic, either read from a property or a Nasal variable value
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 May 2020 12:24 #46745 by Richard
The problem you're going to have is to get the SVG to lineup with the background 'cells' - I'd probably just have an SVG with four lines of text and use a fixed font (I think there is already an LCD font).

The rest is pretty easy for a text display; I'm happy to assist; but be aware that I can only access FGUK.me once every few days at the moment so emails to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. may work better.

20 May 2020 13:55 #46752 by Algernon
I don't anticipate that being a problem - the background will be made to align with a fixed-width font, not the other way around. And the cells are not correct in this image - they have already been modified a bit.

Thanks, I will drop you a line :)

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds