EF2000 Prerelease

17 Mar 2013 18:03 - 06 Apr 2013 17:59 #7980 by Algernon
Here it is chaps, a beta version of the EF2000 which will eventually become the TyphoonT2 (tranche two). Please download and have a play.

I am aware of the numerous issues with the model and paintjob, I am gradually fixing them but I got pretty sick of it, and it's at least nearly fit to be seen now. I'm releasing it to test the Multiplayer facilities and the avionics that area in there.

Latest Prerelease: V0.86 - Speedbrake Compensator in place, loads with engines off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2013 20:08 - 18 Mar 2013 11:06 #7982 by Algernon
Oh, by the way, if you want to personalise your aircraft, thus far you can change the aircraft number and the pilot's name label under the canopy using the new identification module.

Aircraft Serial Number: open EF2000-set.xml and change the property right at the top named identification/aircraft-number

Pilot Name: You can add this to -set.xml if you like, but a better approach is to go to Advanced and Properties in FGRun and add "identification/pilot-name=<chosen name>" to the list. This means the same name will be displayed in the right place and style on any compatible aircraft (of which we hope there will be more in number - first job, the Tonka family).

17 Mar 2013 21:19 #7983 by Vodoun da Vinci
Had a test fly and look around in her...very, very, cool. :)

VooDoo

18 Mar 2013 14:38 #7999 by Algernon
Please note that there are a few things you need to know before, shall we say, converting to Typhoon by way of this EF2000 prerelease. Firstly, I have never liked the tendency of the built in FG autopilot to set your altitude hold value to zero on occasion, and thus the Typhoon/EF2000 autopilot is a completely separate entity. HOWEVER! I thought this had been sorted out, and have aliased the altitude property holds together in order to use the standard dialog box, as I have yet to create a new dedicated one (because it's a real pain in the 'arris).

My suggestion is to get used to programming the AP from the MDEF (Manual Data Entry Facility), the keypad and subsystem keys on the left glareshield. The diagonal buttons control the autopilot - a quick flick through these ought to be self explanatory, however I will be updating the FG Wiki this week to reflect this system. It's intended to completely replace the dialog box, although there will be a dialog too for less immersive pilots.

More things to watch out for as I think of them! Or as I fix them.

06 Apr 2013 18:00 #8531 by Algernon
There's a new pre-release - version 0.86 - which makes the speedbrake at least useable. Other FCS quirks still being ironed. Also, sound is slightly tweaked and features new experimental canopy sound system...

06 Apr 2013 22:07 #8534 by Neilson
This is what i added to the lights xml to turn the cockpit remb lights off
<animation>
   <type>select</type>
   <condition>
      <property>/sim/rendering/rembrandt/enabled</property> 
   </condition>
</animation>

Loving this plane a lot :)

06 Apr 2013 22:28 #8536 by Neilson
I am geting some strange thing happening with the controls to the EF2000

Keyboard mouse, and my joystick,

like left rudder controls left view and throttle, and some more weird ones.

06 Apr 2013 22:33 #8537 by Algernon
Erk! Sorry, mate, I keep forgetting to put that in...

28 Apr 2013 21:13 #8946 by shadow
Great work, although there are a few details that need fixing:
-Any forward stick input, particularily at high speeds, has weird outcomes (i.e. plane spinning on itself in all the three axes), and it's very hard to recover from it. Also, after recovering, the whole plane became very "sensitive", and starts rolling with litterally no input from me, making it impossible to even fly straight. A lot of over-reacting too. The old fdm of the 1.5 version felt very smooth, and I like it better;
-Mach number indicator missing;
-Throttle reacts way too slowly: it takes ages to go from 0 to full AB (or is it supposed to be like that?);

Apart from that, I like it! (btw, are you going to add the mfd like in the v1.5?)

29 Apr 2013 03:18 #8953 by Algernon
Hey Shadow. Thanks for the feedback :)

Yeah, there are quite a few bits to be sorted on it before we get out of pre-release.

I've had some departures under the same circumstances as you mention, but the airframe bit of the FDM itself hasn't changed, only the way the FCS deals with it. The FCS in the new version is more a) advanced and b) incomplete than the Typhoon V1.x which I hope accounts for those terrifying spins - the controls are not properly damped at high speeds for a start, and I haven't yet managed to satisfactorily compensate for the natural nose-up imbalance of the airframe (the canard will do most of this, at the moment it's just a glorified airbrake with Weight on Wheels).

However, the behaviour after recovery is new to me (or almost - I've had occasional experience of uncommanded rolling after recovery from a dangerous spin). What control method are you using, by the way (e.g. mouse, joystick(s)?) This might be a factor, though probably a minor one.

Mach Number indicator is not missing, it's just been brought in line with the real aircraft, selectable between GS and M on the second HUD button from the left. On the old Typhoon, it was switched by the gear position; on the EF2000, it should switch to M above M0.9 like in the real Typhoon. A minor bit of avionics code I should get on and sort out.

The engine spool time isn't wildly unrealistic IMO, but it does need tweaking, particularly the main engines startup which is much too fast. The AB is progressive, emulating real "light up time" which makes cool animations and more pleasant use of sounds. When I bang my throttle full open from idle, with AB, I get full power in just over three seconds, which doesn't seem slow to me - how long does yours take?

The MFDs have had a significant makeover, with all new externals with more controls, and for the next prerelease I hope to have at least one screen per MFD available, and hopefully two. This will probably be the most useful stuff - Autocue and Attack on left unit, Pilot Awareness on centre, Elevation (altitude radar display) on right. Less useful stuff like fuel and hydraulics will come later.

29 Apr 2013 14:23 #8967 by thebroons
What's the status on paint textures on this?

G

29 Apr 2013 14:47 #8968 by Algernon

This is it so far - hopefully, clicking should give you the full size pic. There are clearly issues, as the mapping isn't quite right and to be honest, needs completely redoing at some point. But the textures that are on there I'm mostly pleased with, except that it needs colour balancing up and generally taking a bit of care of - I'm more into my coding at the moment so I haven't made it a priority.

Why do you ask? Got something in mind? ;)
Attachments:

29 Apr 2013 16:56 #8972 by thebroons
Make it liv swap capable.

I will paint.

:)

G

29 Apr 2013 17:39 #8973 by shadow

Algernon wrote: What control method are you using, by the way (e.g. mouse, joystick(s)?) This might be a factor, though probably a minor one.

The engine spool time isn't wildly unrealistic IMO, but it does need tweaking, particularly the main engines startup which is much too fast. The AB is progressive, emulating real "light up time" which makes cool animations and more pleasant use of sounds. When I bang my throttle full open from idle, with AB, I get full power in just over three seconds, which doesn't seem slow to me - how long does yours take?

I use mouse and keyboard. It takes me about 12 seconds to go from idle to full AB by pressing Pgup.
Also, ckeck out the landing gear - when I try to land I look more like a huge basketball with a turbine strapped to it.

29 Apr 2013 17:50 #8974 by Vodoun da Vinci

shadow wrote:
I use mouse and keyboard. It takes me about 12 seconds to go from idle to full AB by pressing Pgup.
Also, ckeck out the landing gear - when I try to land I look more like a huge basketball with a turbine strapped to it.

I use mouse and keyboard as well and my throttle up on the eurofighter from dead stop to full afterburner is on the order of 3 seconds. But when I'm running low frame rates because of MP traffic, building density, or weather rendering it can drop like a rock.

If I'm running frame rates in single or even low double digits (10-15 fps) it can take 10+ seconds to get the same effect. It also effects the FCS effectiveness and can get me some very hostile "departing" effects particularly in the negative G type aerobatics and ACM like extreme stick forward.

How's yer frame rates?

VooDoo

29 Apr 2013 18:00 - 29 Apr 2013 18:18 #8975 by Algernon

shadow wrote: I use mouse and keyboard. It takes me about 12 seconds to go from idle to full AB by pressing Pgup.

That's to do with the keyboard binding repeat speed, not the code. I think it's tied into frame rates, so lower performing computers will take longer too - EF2000 is reasonably demanding on system resources. Do you know what FPS you're getting?

That's right, blame the aircraft! I watched that landing. EF2000 approach should be about 190 kts, high alpha (as high as 12 degs), 3 degree glideslope, touchdown at 160 kts, and the main gear should touch the tarmac before the nosewheel. The gear does need adjustment, and it's at its worst when landing in crosswinds (though choosing RW33 would have helped with that). ;)

EDIT: Jinx, VooDoo, you beat me too it :)

29 Apr 2013 18:02 - 29 Apr 2013 18:04 #8976 by thebroons
Played a bit.

Got a good seams map to work from...

Behold! the madness has started.... :woohoo:

G

Edit: forgot - flaps, R aileron ned fixin' in the model.xml, I'm a guessin'..
Attachments:

29 Apr 2013 18:09 #8977 by Algernon
Sweet as! :) Would love to see some proper attention to the skin, although I like what I've done with it, being colour blind really doesn't help with matching up tones. So you need me to sort out the UV map, yes?

It's probably a way off yet, but as you're playinh, worth mentioning with regard to liveries - I'm hoping any text in liveries can be dynamic, like the existing serial number and pilot label. This is a bit rough at the moment, but I think it can be a lot better when Canvas is properly implemented. So if you end up getting somewhere, leave any text off the image and we'll figure out how to put it in using OSGText or Canvas instead :)

Can't wait to see how you get on mate!

29 Apr 2013 18:13 #8978 by Algernon

thebroons wrote: forgot - flaps, R aileron ned fixin' in the model.xml, I'm a guessin'..

I think that's the biggest of the map problems, rather than the .XML - a few dodgy bits where I got bored before I could sort them out. :blush:

29 Apr 2013 18:38 #8980 by Vodoun da Vinci
Just wanted to add that the Eurofighter is very demanding to land in RL and this one is no exception. It's not "perfect" in its present incarnation but it is not terribly off either.

Spend an entire morning at EGOD practicing my landings with the Eurofighter....it gets better when you woodshed it and really buckle down to the numbers and flying it like a hyper performance aircraft.

It's unusual but not so much that it can't be flown or landed....I favor running a bit hot on landing and popping the speedbrake as soon as I touch down.

VooDoo

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds