First Flightnight

27 Sep 2020 14:07 #48212 by oly2b
Hi All
First attempt joining Flightnight, sorry for the open mic at the start, it all got a bit frantic (Hawk T2 burst in flames several times) at the start!!! and every gone by the time I restarted.
Any how manged to follow the Nile and landed twice, took out some cacti in the process.
Think I sorted out the Teamspeak option, set up a PTT button but not sure about joining the channel from the lobby?

Also there was a lot of yellow/blue gliders when I did catch up, do I have to have the other aircraft install on my FG install to see them correctly?

Any how very enjoyable and challenging.

PS still getting that shuttering effort when flying FG but (XP is smooth) after new graphic card, 16GB of memory and setting which could be tweaked?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Sep 2020 14:53 #48214 by StuartC
You see the yellow glider when you dont have the aircraft installed or there is no AI version within FG.
To change channel on TS, you just double click the channel you want to join.
The Current hawk T2 is quite old and in need of a complete rebuild ( which it is getting, but at a rather slow pace ).
XP doesnt use open GL, where FG does for the rendering. Some Graphic cards dont do OpenGL well. The Nvidia cards are generally ok with it.

30 Sep 2020 20:44 - 30 Sep 2020 21:05 #48246 by Warty

StuartC wrote: You see the yellow glider when you dont have the aircraft installed or there is no AI version within FG.

True, but there is also a bit more to this. You see the glider because it is defined as the default model when you download FG. in
/data/AI/Aircraft/fallback_models.xml
as
<PropertyList>
<model n="0" type="string">Models/Geometry/glider.ac</model>
It is at around line 30

You could edit this line to, for example:
<model n="0" type="string">AI/Aircraft/c182/Models/c182-ai.xml</model>
for this Saturday's event.

I edit this line before each flight night to give something more appropriate than the glider.

As a variation on what Stuart says, having every FGUK aircraft installed will prevent the default aircraft loading. But (and this is a very BIG but) it can mean your machine having to load a lot of very complex models which might seriously impact your frame rate.

Because my machine cannot cope with this, I remove every aircraft other than the one I am flying. Other participants are therefore swapped out for my simplified AI versions of their aircraft (if they exist on my machine) or for the default I have defined for the night.

Mac 10.14.1 Mojave, FG 2018.3.5

05 Oct 2020 15:58 #48305 by oly2b
Thanks for your guidance, is it if you have a lot of installed aircraft (even if not been flown by somebody on a flight-night) which makes a difference?

I need to learn to take off with the rest of you and not get lost, using FGMPmap does help when you are in the wrong valley and ploughing into a hill.
Still getting stuttering with FG reasonable FPS (new Nvida GC and 16GB memory) setting are not max out , I defraged the drive where the scenery lives and suggestions on stuttering would be great

05 Oct 2020 16:04 #48306 by StuartC
I get stuttering as well even on my 2060 card. Sometimes its fine, other times its not.

Time to create page: 0.802 seconds