Checklist for Boeing C-17

13 Nov 2020 21:17 #48795 by oly2b
Does anybody have any information about flying the C-17?

In the docs folder is say USARA Flying By The Numbers document which I have not been able to find.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Nov 2020 21:29 #48798 by StuartC
Its a fairly easy lump to fly. Fully capable of a by the book tactical landing aproach.

15 Nov 2020 11:46 #48818 by oly2b
The C-17 version 3.1 downloaded from the hanger, the cockpit is partially complete and is different to the one shown in the Facebook video shot last night.

Also on FB somebody mentions having problems flying the latest releases from FGUK due to their low FPS and the aircraft crashing before any corrections can be made.
I have the same issue (the latest releases are works of art, I can't imagine the work and hours which go into them) please could you explain further how to rem out sections in the set file to suit lower performance PC owners.

15 Nov 2020 12:14 #48819 by StuartC
Theres very little in the current public version you can rem out that would make any difference to the FPS.
Our latest releases are getting much more detailed, but if you want the detail, there is a performance price to pay.
The version you seen in the video would be the Development version which is having a huge cockpit upgrade carried out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oly2b

15 Nov 2020 14:15 - 16 Nov 2020 18:05 #48824 by Warty
If the aircraft's -set.xml file has a line in it that says
<allow-toggle-cockpit>true</allow-toggle-cockpit>
you will be able to turn the entire cockpit on/off with the standard keyboard key setting 'c'.

Do a search in the aircraft's -set.xml file for <allow-toggle-cockpit> first to see if it has been set to false or 0 and change it to true. Otherwise you can add the line entirely.

This line needs to be in the "sim" section, ie: between the <sim> .. </sim> tags. But without interfering with anything else.
I normally insert it after the main </model> tag like this:

Some ways of flying without a cockpit include a HUD, a 2D-panel, the Phi interface, and WebPanels. And those are just the off-the-shelf options.

Mac 10.14.1 Mojave, FG 2018.3.5
Attachments:

16 Nov 2020 13:15 #48840 by oly2b
Brilliant - many thanks for that suggestion, I try out tonight.
Yes probably could do with a better PC but just added a new graphics card and doubled the memory, where do you stop.
May be a survey of FGUK member's PC may give beginners an idea of if they stand a chance with FG and a target guide to aim for.
It was a similar problem back in day with CFS3, fantastic development from CFS2 but back then it would not run on the average PC of the day just stopped trying. Reloaded CFS3 recently (despite Window10 issues) runs very well 20 years later.

17 Nov 2020 17:22 #48848 by oly2b
Hi Warty
Tried your suggestions on two different aircraft and "c" does not change anything, I am doing it right?

File Attachment:

File Name: samplesetfile.txt
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:

17 Nov 2020 17:41 #48849 by Warty
No, this is no good
<model>
<path archive="y">Aircraft/AS532/Models/AS532-Cougar.xml</path>
<rescue-lift>0.01</rescue-lift>
<rescue type="bool">false</rescue>
<bo105>

it needs to after the </ model> tag

Notice the forward slash !

Mac 10.14.1 Mojave, FG 2018.3.5

18 Nov 2020 13:53 #48856 by oly2b
Got the c button working using between the <sim> </sim> tags
<virtual-cockpit>true</virtual-cockpit>

On the forum it said this could be added to the preference.xml and be available on all aircraft.
Many thanks for suggesting this trick.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds