Unable to install / compile FG

01 Jun 2020 22:13 #46986 by Avionyx
Hi All,

Just a quick note to say I'm sorry for the absence recently. After a bit of a HDD issue I ended up messing things up by rushing and got the PC to a point it was just easier, cleaner and far better for me to just start again.

Started with a clean slate and found that the FG version available for my OS (Manjaro) is having issues with dependencies so can't be installed. The same Issue that Scott highlighted last September.

I've contacted the package maintainer who says he hasn't had the time or inclination to update recently due to the fast release pace of 2020 so far.

I've tried to compile myself but don't have the knowledge to put together my own compilation script and the one's available on the FG forum are very out of date (based off something from 2014)

So right now that leaves me entirely without access to FG. Apologies if that means I can't keep up with commitments to people but It's rather emasculating I assure you.

I've posted on the main forum as well as sent some emails to people who might have faced the same issues but so far I've got no replies in the affirmative that anyone's been able to overcome it.

Any thoughts or avenues worth trying much welcomed.

Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jun 2020 07:54 #46987 by enrogue
a couple of options to try:

1. fgmeta contains a script called fg-from-scratch.sh which is apparently capable of compiling fg & all it's dependences using vcpkg (no idea if it works on manjaro sorry) - may be worth a crack

2. run lxd (a full system container system - unlike docker which is an application container system), and run a gui container of ubuntu in that (I have tested this)

see blog.simos.info/how-to-easily-run-graphi...your-ubuntu-desktop/

lxd runs on manjaro as far as I know (it's probably a snap though)

this is the profile I use to run fg:
config:
  environment.DISPLAY: :0
  raw.idmap: both 1000 1000
  user.user-data: |
    #cloud-config
    runcmd:
      - 'sed -i "s/; enable-shm = yes/enable-shm = no/g" /etc/pulse/client.conf'
      - 'echo export PULSE_SERVER=unix:/tmp/.pulse-native | tee --append /home/ubuntu/.profile'
      - 'echo export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/tmp/.dbus | tee --append /home/ubuntu/.profile'
    packages:
      - x11-apps
      - mesa-utils
      - pulseaudio
description: GUI LXD profile
devices:
  DBus:
    path: /tmp/.dbus
    source: /run/user/1000/bus
    type: disk
  JS:
    path: /dev/input/js0
    source: /dev/input/js0
  PASocket:
    path: /tmp/.pulse-native
    source: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
  Shared:
    path: /home/shared
    source: /home/shared
  X0:
    path: /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
    source: /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
  mygpu:
    type: gpu
name: gui
used_by:

3: something like AppImage or Flatpak or snap

the Flatpak seems to be stuck at 2018.3.2 so thats out

the snap is here snapcraft.io/install/flightgear/manjaro , but this seems to pull 2019.1.2 which is even more useless *sigh*

The AppImage recipe was hacked to work by me a while back & I haven't tested on the current packages - it will still have the issue of running the nav database stuff on every startup though

So I think fg-from-scratch is worth a crack, if that doesn't work I can look at updating my AppImage - the lxd option would definitely work, but you might not want to pollute your system with snap & lxd (up to you)

02 Jun 2020 09:53 #46988 by enrogue

02 Jun 2020 10:54 #46989 by Avionyx
Thanks Enrogue, some options to give a go there this Afternoon.
I did actually get a Snap working ok but it had been made in such a way it wouldn't detect my joystick or ready any aircraft/scenery folders outside it's own tree, and all the settings returned to default after every flight.

Will give the AppImage a go if I can't get fg-from-scratch to work

02 Jun 2020 11:15 - 02 Jun 2020 11:25 #46990 by enrogue
Hey Alex

I tested the snap a while back & noted it wasn't working properly but didn't fully explore it

The Appimage I created works ok, but seems a bit dark on my system in game - it may be due to differences in mesa between the build system & my current system (I'm using AMD opensource drivers - anything else will likely be different). It does pick up joystick settings, paths & scenery, it just has the annoying feature of redoing the nav database on every startup

I created it directly from the pkg2appimage repository, so you can do it yourself if you like

the github repo is here github.com/AppImage/pkg2appimage

you could just checkout the repo, cd into it & run
bash -ex pkg2appimage recipes/FlightGear.yml

Someone posted a link to an AppImage they created in the main forums - I'm just downloading it to check it out in a secure manner at the moment - it's a bit smaller so possibly built differently

EDIT: the other AppImage works ok (slow download though) but seems to be built the same way as the one I built, just a slightly different file size

02 Jun 2020 15:30 #46991 by Avionyx
Thanks Enrogue, I've tried the one you posted earlier and it works fantastic but does seem a little dark (very moody, would make for some great screenshots!)

Does the AppImage from the main forums do the same thing?

02 Jun 2020 17:16 #46992 by enrogue
Yeah it's exactly the same - the guy that built it recently posted to the dev list & I asked how it was built

having a discussion with James now about what possibly could/should be built for linux
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avionyx

02 Jun 2020 19:04 #46993 by Avionyx
Cheers buddy, @ScottBouch is still having the same issue too so I'm sure there must be more of us out there too.

03 Jun 2020 21:01 #47005 by enrogue
Right

I have a new AppImage built from Ubuntu 16.04 with OSG 3.4.2 via the download & compile script

I have tested it on Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 & 20.04 & it works fine

It doesn't by default start the Qt launcher, but will run it if you use --launcher

It doesn't include FGData, but will ask you where it is or let you download it - theres a reason for this: the AppImage is not able to be changed to that means no adding stuff to FGdata, so I thought it best to just provide the built AppImage with the binaries & libraries required

Getting it to work was a complete & utter ball-ache

It needs more testing! So I can then script/document this & throw it over the fence to James who will hopefully start doing the same on the build infrastructure

here is is (only 248MB) www.dropbox.com/s/nfhja4mke260t33/Flight...x86_64.AppImage?dl=0

(The darkness is fixed btw)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

03 Jun 2020 21:17 #47006 by Algernon
None of this means anything to me, except that it was a ball-ache.

But as it seems we're the only team who are even trying to attempt it, thanks to everyone spending time on it! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: enrogue

04 Jun 2020 08:32 #47008 by timi
Does it respect the selected FGDATA or do you have to do it on every start?

04 Jun 2020 08:51 #47009 by enrogue
it respects it - it keeps the setting you already have, and it doesn't redo the nav database on every startup

04 Jun 2020 08:54 #47011 by timi
Awesome! I guess I'll spin up a VM and give it a shot.

04 Jun 2020 10:08 #47013 by timi
How much RAM does the regular install of FG consume on start? On the first start I ran out of
4 GB + 1 GB swap and FG got killed. On second try I have 58 MB of available memory and
FG loaded. :)

Although I have the maximum shared graphics memory set to 768 MB so up to that amount
can be given to graphics processing as well.

04 Jun 2020 10:35 #47014 by enrogue
The Appimage will use more ram as it loop mounts the image & runs from it (so an extra 250MB ram)

FG uses a lot when running 64bit - it barely runs on a 4GB RPi 4

04 Jun 2020 10:41 #47015 by timi
Yeah, I suspected it will use somewhat more. But if it's only about 250 MB more then it shouldn't be an issue really.

04 Jun 2020 11:52 #47021 by enrogue
OK, I installed the latest Manjaro Xfce on Vmware with 6G ram, copied the Appimage & the fgdata tarball over & ran it

seems to work great - installing aircraft from the launcher & terrasync works fine, started the c172 & draken at bikf & egoy

mouse controls don't work in the vm, but moving view around does - it's working fine when not running in a vm though, so might be a vmware issue?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avionyx

04 Jun 2020 12:20 #47024 by Avionyx
Enrogue,

Seems to work absolutely perfectly. Mouse controls work, joystick detection, rendering all looks great with no issues - it's quite happy with various aircraft folders on different drives, same with scenery.
Looks like you nailed it!
Many thanks indeed, that's me back on for FlightNights at least.

Alex
The following user(s) said Thank You: enrogue

22 Jun 2020 07:24 #47272 by Avionyx
Been using this for a couple of weeks now and it certainly flies ok.

Found a couple of oddities, it doesn't look like reflection correction is working correctly. The Gazelle, and others, look like they are made of plastic.

Also I don't *think* that custom scenery is working. It's hard to tell because I seem to get new roads and buildings fine but I'm not getting any custom buildings or terrain /textures with it. Just like the OSM stuff AND some additional roads.

Anyone else on this build able to test and see if it's just me or what?

Many thanks,
Alex
Attachments:

22 Jun 2020 09:35 #47277 by enrogue
I'm sure custom scenery was working for me, but that was testing on Ubuntu so it was picking up my current settings from ~/.fgfs

I figured there may be some shader issues, but didn't delve in deep - the issue I think is that as it's built on Ubuntu 16.04 it uses the Mesa (opengl) from that (11.2), which might not have support for all the extensions

James is looking for someone to hack together the build scripts to create AppImages for FG regularly - unfortunately for Centos 7 which I have bugger all experience with - centos 7 is older but it's mesa gets updated regularly (currently 18.3.4)

I'll have another look at the AppImage functionality later today (hopefully)

Time to create page: 0.794 seconds