Unable to install / compile FG

14 Aug 2020 06:10 #47864 by ScottBouch
Thanks enrouge, your help is much appreciated! Downloadign 1.3 data file now and your updated appimage.

Just throwing a question out there, anyone know why installing and updating FGFS on Linux has suddenly become a royal pain in the backside? is it just Manjaro or is it across all distros? Is it FGFS that's made changes or is it the AUR repo maintainer?

Thanks, Scott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2020 06:34 #47865 by ScottBouch
Hi Oly,

Sounds odd... I recently, last week, downloaded and installed a fresh version (20.0.3) of Majaro, and it's been fine. The desktop Add/Remove Software GUI has worked fine for most installations, and pacman at the command line has been fine too.

My system that's fine:

Kernel: Linux 5.4.52-1-MANJARO

DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.0.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Lysia

Maybe your OS download got corrupted? did you check the SHA checksum after download?

OR, you said it was an old XP machine... is it 32 bit architecture? The latest Manjaro releases support 64 bit only, you have to dig around the downloads to find an older 32 bit version. I've never tried installing a 64 bit OS on 32 bit hardware, but I imagine if it works at all, parts will be broken.

I recently resurrected a very old 32 bit Acer Aspire One laptop / "netbook" for the kids. It took me a while to find a 32 bit lightweight Linux distro, as a lot of distros have moved on to 64 bit support only these days, such as Majaro. I ended up using www.linuxliteos.com/ which is an Ubuntu fork; it works ok.

14 Aug 2020 07:12 - 14 Aug 2020 07:14 #47866 by ScottBouch
Thanks for this work enrogue, it's working nicely, able to fly the Cessna!

How is it possible to specify other aircraft and options? like "fgfs --launcher" would bring up the launcher to change settings.

Thanks again, Scott.

14 Aug 2020 09:16 #47867 by enrogue
sorry, yes - if you run the appimage with --launcher it will come up with the launcher

14 Aug 2020 12:55 #47869 by oly2b
I installed a 32 bit version, it will connect to the internet, download software directly and I can see old stuff on a data drive from when it was last used but I don't know how toopen/ run these. I am struggle to get an image viewer working and the pacman goes through the varies stages but at the end is says The request URL returned error:404
Even trying to install the smallest application I get the same return but I can get to the internet

14 Aug 2020 13:37 #47870 by enrogue
404 is http for file not found, so the mirror that it's using doesn't have the file anymore

I've not run manjaro on 32bit ever, so I can comment on whether it works - I just know they don't support 32bit in the most recent release

Most distributions don't support 32bit very well anymore - whats the spec of the machine?

14 Aug 2020 18:01 - 14 Aug 2020 18:02 #47871 by ScottBouch
Hi Oly,

I just ran into a snag with my Manjaro machine - I can't install any packages from AUR.
This is the issue I'm seeing.
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=254087

Annoying as I want to install github-desktop in order to sync my Lightning files with gitlab. And of course, github-desktop is only available in AUR.

This fails with the Add / Remove programs GUI, but also at the comand line:

[scott@USB-Manjaro ~]$ pamac search --aur github-desktop
Failed to query aur.archlinux.org/rpc/?v=5&type=search&arg=github-desktop from AUR: Rate limit reached

Could be what you're also seeing. See if you can install packages from the official repos, and AUR, see if there's a difference.

14 Aug 2020 18:18 #47872 by enrogue
Not going to help if you're running 32bit, but github desktop has appimages here:

github.com/shiftkey/desktop/releases

14 Aug 2020 20:25 #47877 by ScottBouch
Thanks, no this is on 64bit.

I resolved my first issue of not being able to search AUR packages by connecting via a VPN. Currently away from home, on site wifi, so the node IP address is what's exceeded the AUR rate limit. VPN'ing through the providers exit node resolved this.

Having tried the Add / Remove GUI a few times, it's falling over at different places in the process. I put this down to the dodgy internet connection again, as it grinds to a halt very often.. Will try again on a better connection...

But, many thanks for getting fgfs working, I have the Lightning T5 flying successfully!

15 Aug 2020 11:02 #47882 by Richard

ScottBouch wrote: I recently resurrected a very old 32 bit Acer Aspire One laptop / "netbook" for the kids

Are you sure it won't run 64bit ? What CPU does it have ?

16 Aug 2020 06:40 #47892 by ScottBouch
Hi Richard, I don't have it to hand right now, but it is a ZG5 model, which according to specs online has a 32 bit intel atom N270. We bought it in 2008, it came with Linux Linpus Light, which was a bit poor to be fair. it has ran Windows 7, Edubuntu and Linux Light since then. I also upgraded it to the max RAM of 1.5GB.

Specs,
www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-one/specs/

ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/prod...ghz-533-mhz-fsb.html

aside from being 32bit, its other big drawback is the limited pixel count on the screen, being 600 pixels tall you often can't get to the OK button of a dialogue box....

Sorry for the skew off topic...

Cheers, Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard

14 Sep 2020 20:27 #48150 by enrogue
Latest RC of 2020.2.1 AppImage is here:

www.dropbox.com/s/5plaxf4tgn6sb2k/Flight...x86_64.AppImage?dl=0

Compiled on Centos 7 (had to switch to a VM)

Tested on Ubuntu 20.04 & Manjaro

No issues that I can see, but I've really only tested a couple of aircraft

17 Sep 2020 20:40 #48168 by oly2b
Finally got a working copy of Linux by trying Lubuntu 18and dumping Manjaro (same problem on PC & a laptop).
Will now have a chance running scripts.
Downloaded a linux FG copy from the main site but never figured out how to run it.

18 Sep 2020 08:27 #48169 by enrogue
The main site doesn't have binaries for Linux yet - they're coming soon

James has just integrated the AppImage build into the Jenkins build system, they're just not being uploaded to download.flightgear.org/builds yet

You can try the AppImage above after grabbing fgdata from either

download.flightgear.org/builds/rc/Flight....2.1-data-rc.tar.bz2

or from git (you need the 2020.2 branch)

Alternatively with Lubuntu you can install the Ubuntu PPA here:

launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+archive/ubuntu/flightgear

18 Sep 2020 18:29 #48180 by oly2b
Lubuntu 18 as Flightgear 2018 in the included games applications, downloaded and will launch but on this old PC is probably not capable of running FG.
Only wanted to try and run xplane2fg and convert a couple of my local airfields to FG.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds