Teach me how to compile scenery.

22 Jun 2020 07:36 #47273 by Avionyx
Is there anyone out there that can teach me how to compile scenery?

Let me tell you what my end goal is: right now I'm not bothered about buildings, roads, railway lines or anything like that. I REALLY want to see nice coastlines and rivers in FG. Smooth edged lakes and raggedy cliffs.

The ONE comment that I always get when sharing FG screenshots around the wider world of simming is "Jeesus that scenery looks like a cat just shat it out it's arse"
Ok it's not exactly that comment but people really aren't complementary about it.

The annoying thing is that WE know that FG can handle perfectly beautiful scenery, much better than many other sims out there right out the box.

I really want to do my bit to make it happen but every tutorial and instruction set I can find for scenery is far too vague. Can someone give me an actual usable example end to end of how to make scenery with nice coastline data and then I can dissect it from there and move it on to other areas once I know the process works?

My main machine is Linux but I also have Windows options so either of those I really don't mind as long as it works.

Many thanks!

Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2020 08:29 #47275 by Avionyx
I've also put a little post on the main forum but I imagine I'll just get called stupid and told to "go compile it" - willing to be pleasantly surprised though!

22 Jun 2020 11:02 #47280 by Richard
Always worth searching through the main forums before asking.

Jonathan Redpath's guide (Windows) forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?t=35618&p=346036

How to create US scenery with NLCD land cover data and QGIS forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?t=36913&p=361740#p361740
together

Also bear in mind that there are people now working on WS3.0 which will not use terragear instead it will use VirtualPlanetBuilder - see my original post on the subject here : sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mailman/fli...b3ce58%40airmail.cc/

Currently the aim is to have the Islands of Hawaii built using VPB within 6 months - the basic tool is already good but the main thing that's missing is airports - and hopefully these will be built on the fly at run time and draped on the scenery; possibly with some mesh flattening.

It is hoped that when the next LTS after 2020 is released we will have new scenery built for the entire world; this will probably be in 2022.

I've been heavily promoting the concept of making the scenery edit / rebuild process a lot more accessible and hopefully throwing open to a lot more contributions that currently is possible - but we have to get the basics right first.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds