Official FlightGear AppImages

21 Sep 2020 14:18 #48199 by enrogue
There are now FlightGear AppImages produced nightly & can be found here:

download.flightgear.org/builds/nightly/

They don't contain FGdata yet (coming soon), so you will need to download FGdata separately or have a git repo of it that you can update easily

They are Debug builds for reporting, and so might be a bit slower than normal

I have done basic startup, flying & sound tests on Ubuntu, Centos 7 & Manjaro
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Oct 2020 07:58 #48366 by ScottBouch
Hi,

So what's the score with FGFS and Linux recently? What has caused this mess?

I'm just trying to catch up with what's happened as have been busy with other stuff for a while;

- Is it across all distros? ( I have been on Manjaro / Arch and struggled). Do any Linux desktop distros software installers still work nicely for FGFS from the repos?
- Why are we now reliant on enrougue building appimages for us, when FGFS used to be part of standard repos? What do people do if they're not on this forum and haven't seen his work?

For a few reasons (several broken things) I'm going to be re-installing my desktop PC, hopefully today.

Currently my PC runs Manjaro, and FGFS won't install as we know; but also I'm struggling to get serial data out to my Arduino projects via the IDE, this is an Arduino bug that I'm hoping will go away with a change of distro.

I'm thinking about going back to a Debian based system for a while (just to try to save the headaches), as with Ubuntu ruling the place, there does seem to be a lot more support for packages under Debian based systems.

Considering Mint, Lubuntu, Xbuntu, any thoughts? (avoiding Ubuntu due to included bloatware). I want a hassle-free Linux desktop experience.

(This is a very entry level desktop PC with similar resources to a humble Raspberry Pi 4.)

Cheers, Scott.

14 Oct 2020 13:49 #48373 by enrogue
The issue is that the FlightGear Project has increased the cadence of releases & the distributions only update at most every ~6 months (Ubuntu) usually - they are not directly involved in the project & so FG LTS releases aren't always going to match up with distro releases

There are 3 distribution independent packages: AppImage, Flatpak, & Snap - snap is incomplete & not working, Flatpak is only updated occasionally & doesn't keep up with LTS, AppImage support was written by me & I'm trying to keep it up to date (it builds on Centos & I'm not an expert on Centos - the reason why this is used is that it creates the best compatibility)

We now have official AppImage builds created along with nightlies & hopefully RC builds soon - they don't include FGData as yet as if it's included in an AppImage it's read-only

Nightlies are here: download.flightgear.org/builds/nightly/

I'll poke James to get Linux AppImages included in RC when they are built (2020.3.1 is coming soon)

Ubuntu & other Debian based distributions can use the PPA here:

launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+archive/ubuntu/flightgear

it's usually a little behind the current release though

There is also an automated build script that is very easy to use when on Debian based systems so you can build yourself

What bloatware are you referring to on Ubuntu?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

14 Oct 2020 14:32 #48374 by ScottBouch
Thanks for the explanations - I can see why you'd go with the appimage route to cover most bases and keep it up to date. Thanks for your work on this.

Last time I used Ubuntu Desktop, I was disappointed to find links to Amazon shopping etc... Helping Bezos take over the world.. This put me off somewhat, but it was along time ago as I've been distro-hopping ever since!

Am going to try Lubuntu now and see how we get on, hope it'll fix the arduino serial comms issue..

So If I was to use the appimage instead of PPA, do you re-run the appimage regularly to keep FGFS up to date? I just checked the PPA and some parts were updated recently, but like you said, some are 5 months old or so.

One odd thing I did have happen to another Manjaro machine that I installed FGFS on using the appimage some months ago, was that once I'd gone from initial window size to full screen and back again, the text on the menu bar at the top became all crunched up / squashed, and I could never get it back to looking normal / readable.. don't know if this is a common issue?

Thanks, Scott.

14 Oct 2020 15:13 #48376 by enrogue
On the subject of the Amazon webapp included in Ubuntu since 12.10 - it was removed this year:

www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/ubuntu-removes-the-amazon-web-app

The shopping search/lens was removed a while back as far as I know

There will be official releases via AppImage - some will include FGData - I'm pushing James to have 2 versions (with & without fgdata)

I'm not clear on what happened to your Manjaro install - it sounds like either the GUI style got corrupted or it had issues picking up the desktop/screen DPI

16 Oct 2020 11:36 #48410 by ScottBouch
Thanks for that... Glad to see it's now gone, (I may be wrong here regarding privacy / trust) but it's things like that that make me uneasy about Ubuntu, what other data is Canonical taking in the background?

So, I'm now on a fresh "Vanilla" Linux Mint Mate install - it's beginning to sound a bit like ice-cream. My Arduino issues are now fixed, I can now send serial data to the board, and I used the Debian based download / install script to install FGFS, and it's done a lovely job of it.

I cloned the FGUK Lightning from gitlab using git at the command line, which also worked well, but I do miss the github-desktop application ( github.com/shiftkey/desktop ), which currently won't download the desktop installer due to packagecloud.io having maxed out downloads....

May have to figure out how to use git at the command line to push changes back to gitlab instead of the nice desktop application...

16 Oct 2020 14:41 #48412 by enrogue
I have a copy of the latest github desktop here (deb):

www.dropbox.com/s/t9fmstywmsv4a5l/GitHub....5.4-linux1.deb?dl=0

17 Oct 2020 07:43 - 17 Oct 2020 08:36 #48418 by ScottBouch
Brilliant, thank you very much!

The .deb installed github-desktop lovely and cloned the Lightning perfectly, thanks for sharing!

I can't quite put my finger on it, Mint is working well and has been fairly hassle free so far, but I do miss the polished 'feel' of the Manjaro desktop experience.

Thanks again for your support, Scott

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds