Hello from the Midlands, UK

26 Jun 2016 20:35 #29407 by J Maverick 16
Hi Scott and welcome to probably One of the most amazing communities of FG! ;)
@Gary: "Watch out!".
Mav

Breakin' the sound barrier every day!
Oh God, that's EGOD!

FG 2020.3.1 - iMac 27" (Mid 2010) w/ macOS 10.12.6 - Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2016 21:48 #29419 by Algernon
So, inspired by this sudden interest and resource, I have started to tidy the Lightning T5 up, and get it ready for an early release candidate. Scott, I will make sure you can download it from the cloud before then and have a look at it (albeit in a rather unfinished state and with quite a few jobs still to do). I also intend to make a video about using the realistic autopilot (there is also the default FG autopilot if you prefer that) to make instrument approaches. Next job: interior and exterior lighting controls. Watch this space :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: J Maverick 16, ScottBouch

07 Jul 2016 12:05 - 07 Jul 2016 12:08 #29548 by ScottBouch
Hi, I'm glad to have helped to reignite some interest!

You may like this video I've just put on YouTube, It's from the cockpit of XS458 during a high speed taxi run. Read the video comments to understand the real audio sounds heard through the headsets. The video audio is actually a mix of headset sound and ambient cockpit noise picked up by a microphone. Only deviation from reality, is the canopy raise / lower warning Klaxon buzzer is faulty, apart from that it's as real as it gets.

https://youtu.be/i4ZP8XZYgbs

I've also been getting other photos together to add to the website... so much so, I'm going to put several pages together to show certain aspects, ie: one for cockpit, one for operational data, one or external details, one for undercarriage etc...

I'd love to test-drive the Lightning for you, no probs.

Cheers, Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC

07 Jul 2016 12:15 - 07 Jul 2016 12:18 #29549 by ScottBouch
Here's a couple of cool photos I've just unearthed, from a few years ago now...:

I was not the photographer, but have watermarked them so there's some traceablility.

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: J Maverick 16

07 Jul 2016 12:34 #29551 by ScottBouch
Another one from a few years ago with fond memories.. mu old 16V Astra GTE with XS458....

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:

07 Jul 2016 12:51 #29552 by ScottBouch
Do you guys build these models with aircrew in the seats??

I ask as I have a reasonable collection of flying helmets and aircrew equipment, and know what suits which aircraft for which era. It does my nut in when people build an RC model of a vintage British jet and give the pilot a modern American helmet because they've done no research; "a helmet's a helmet isn't it?" --- nope, there's WAY more to it than that!!

Anyway, I can offer guidance in this area too for you guys if it's something you do, I'm better with UK gear, but have a lot of contacts who can advise on gear form other countries too.

These images were from my display at Newark Air Museum 2015 CockpitFest event. the helmets are my personal collection, and i try to show them once a year at the 'Fest:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

07 Jul 2016 13:24 #29553 by ScottBouch
Hi Algernon,

To help with your Autopilot controls, here's a section from the aircrew manual (freshly scanned) explaining how it works.

The manual is for the FCS, Flight Control System, which includes Autopilot and and Flight Director.

Download the manual from: www.scottbouch.com/notes/AP-101B-1003-5,...t_Control_System.pdf

Cheers, Scott.

07 Jul 2016 13:43 #29554 by Algernon

ScottBouch wrote: Hi Algernon,
To help with your Autopilot controls, here's a section from the aircrew manual (freshly scanned) explaining how it works.

Thanks so much!! I did the initial coding based on an online set of pilots notes which is sadly not downloadable, so this is a great resource for me to actually have on my PC. I'm going to send you a PM with the link to the development Lightning - it works ALMOST like the real thing, as far as I can tell, with a couple of bits of functionality subtly changed to suit the FG autopilot, You can give it a fly and see what you think (there are a few bugs still to be worked out, so gain some height manually before engaging! Fortunately, gaining height is something the Lightning does particularly well ;) )

Love all the photos, your helmet collecting is amazing! And also, I have a little soft spot for the Astra GTE ;)

07 Jul 2016 14:01 #29556 by Algernon

ScottBouch wrote: You may like this video I've just put on YouTube,

It's fantastic, really enjoyed it, especially being able to see the IFIS in operation, I had attempted to figure out how it works from the online flight manual I found but I'm seeing stuff on the video I couldn't have known about. I think I will be studying this video quite a lot in order to improve the aircraft (which is by our own admission at a very early stage anyway - this is going to help loads!!)

07 Jul 2016 14:39 #29557 by ScottBouch
No worries, I'd be interested to know where you found this online resource?

thanks, Scott.

07 Jul 2016 14:51 #29558 by Algernon
Think it was on avialogs.com - tried to search for it, but it's taking forever to load. Will try later and post a link if successful.

Regarding the flying helmets, pilots can be difficult things in FG because modelling a person is obviously quite difficult and time-consuming, so we have a selection we use and try and get the closest one. That said, I think it's probably not so difficult to remodel just the head, helmet and mask, so maybe we can improve one of our existing chaps...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

07 Jul 2016 15:37 #29559 by ScottBouch
Awesome, I've never heard of that site, they have some interesting manuals there, but alas, again, one has to pay for access.... I'm a firm believer that you should't tax knowledge, hence why I want to help you guys out as much as possible.

If you're buying an original physical manual, then fair enough, it's a collectable, but for PDF's, the world would be a more intellectual place if there was more sharing of knowledge going on.

Where can I see your standard aircrew models?

Glad you liked the cockpit video, I have some more similar ones that need some editing before I upload, so watch this space.

Thanks for the comments on the helmets and the GTE.. I've had a few GTE's over the years, fantastic cars ,but now have boring Audi and Seat family cars instead.

Cheers, Scott.

07 Jul 2016 15:41 #29560 by ScottBouch
The www.avialogs.com/ site... how do they legally get away with publishing MOD Restricted documents within the 50 year period of their issue date? 50 years is the declassification time....

I want to openly publish similar documents on my website, but am concerned about getting into a spot of bother if I did. i ahev some that are over 50 years old ,b ut some that are not (like some on the www.avialogs.com/ site.

Cheers, Scott.

07 Jul 2016 15:54 #29561 by ScottBouch
Oh, and I've just found a workaround for their site to get the pages as image files, which can then later be put together as a PDF.

static.avialogs.com/images/photos/docs/4...ew/2493-p1-large.jpg

Change the p number in the link for the page you desire!

Have I just hacked a website?? i really am not all that clever, but found a way. Naughty me!

Cheers, Scott.

07 Jul 2016 15:54 #29562 by StuartC
we have an ever growing repository of pilot models. I collect them when I find them and make them ready for Flightgear use. The repository is available to the development team and they just lynch the pilot they want and glue him into the aircraft. Although its unlikely we will have an exact match for a particular aircraft or time period, choosing the closet one works and we can have the flightsuit painted to a more suitable look.
Generally the pilot model is excluded from internal views and is only visible for external or specific camera views ( like the Pilot Cam we use on a lot of aircraft ).

07 Jul 2016 16:10 #29563 by Algernon

ScottBouch wrote: Awesome, I've never heard of that site, they have some interesting manuals there, but alas, again, one has to pay for access.... I'm a firm believer that you should't tax knowledge, hence why I want to help you guys out as much as possible.

I'm in complete agreement. I suspect they are counting on it being too much hassle to prosecute them for manuals documenting very out of date technology. That said, when starting my Eurofighter Typhoon project, I was able to find online a genuine copy of the restricted avionics manual, hence many aspects of that aircraft's instruments are completely accurate. That is almost certainly a serious breach.

Where can I see your standard aircrew models?

I have always gone to Stuart for advice on which is the best aircrew model to use for whichever aircraft, but now you mention it, it might be a good idea to create a separate area in our development space for them, which would make viewing easier. You're clearly a tech-savvy kind of chap - I particularly liked your video of the Arduino driving the instruments - so no doubt we can get you access to that pretty soon. If we can meet up in FlightGear at some point when you have an hour free, we can talk about that. Incidentally, how do you feel about voice comms? We use Teamspeak to communiate when we're flying, and the easiest way to chat about development stuff is on there, if it's cool with you.

Thanks for the comments on the helmets and the GTE.. I've had a few GTE's over the years, fantastic cars ,but now have boring Audi and Seat family cars instead.

I always fancied the GTE when I was younger, in college, and also the Nova SRi and Astra GSi, but at that time lots of my contemporaries had hot hatches and I am rather contrary, so I had all classic cars (that was in Essex, so classics tended to appeal to the right kind of girls, hahaha). Now I have a Saab 9-3 Convetible, I have always been very into Saabs. I love it to pieces, but it's not very practical, especially as I am a lounge pianist and sometimes need to move all my audio kit and stage piano about for gigs, Your Seat is not so boring with the Raspberry Pi installation, that looks awesome!

07 Jul 2016 16:14 #29564 by Algernon

StuartC wrote: Although its unlikely we will have an exact match for a particular aircraft or time period, choosing the closet one works and we can have the flightsuit painted to a more suitable look.

The closet one can be identified by his pink t-shirt and concealed ABBA cassette ;)

It may not have been avialogs I used for the Lightning, I know there is definitely a manual somewhere that you can use on the web with a built in PDF viewer, but you have to pay to download, and the web viewer is a bit of a nuisance to work with (intentionally, to encourage you to open your wallet). But that's a very handy workaround you've managed to crack out there! :)

07 Jul 2016 16:23 #29565 by Algernon
Incidentally, I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but as you spoke about offering tech support on the Vulcan, I'd also like to talk about the V-Force aircraft here at FGUK - another of my big projects is the FGUK Victor, which I rebuilt with a brand new cockpit. It's one of my very favourite aircraft - Stuart built and I tweaked the YASim FDM so that it's pretty much accurate (a bit on the hot side, but it's fun to break Mach 1 in the B2 occasionally, I will fix that eventually) and it has an almost realistic autopilot, Smiths MFS and electrical system as well as realistic engine start and some lovely liveries courtesy of our paintshop guy, Gary thebroons. We're also hoping to put some time into our Vulcan at some point, and enrogue has been working on the Valiant. It would be amazing one day to have a flight with Vulcans, Lightnings and Valiants being refuelled by Victor K2s, and I also really really want to do a Black Buck recreation, although it would take a hell of a lot of planning to try and get an 18 hour flight together!!

07 Jul 2016 16:30 #29567 by ScottBouch
I've just been downloading the files about flight data, trouble is they don't have the T5...

the T5 was the quickest of all the Lighnings for 3 reasons:
  • The cockpit side cheeks have it an aerodynamic edge over the single seaters (area ruling it was called I believe).
  • The engines are Avon 30201 type (highest power to be fitted to a Lightning), same as the F6.
  • The T5 weighed less than the F6 due to the smaller ventral tank and wings, and no Aden Canons.

It pretty much got all the best bits / features! A hybrid of the T4 aerodynamically (apart from teh fin) and F6 in terms of power

07 Jul 2016 16:41 #29568 by Algernon
Amazing! We're concentrating on the T5 because it was one of the pilot aircraft for our dual-control fitting. At one point, it had full dual control working, but I'm not sure if it still is. Yet another thing that needs attention!! :)

Time to create page: 0.626 seconds