Hello from the Midlands, UK

07 Jul 2016 21:37 #29573 by ScottBouch
Hi, yes it appears I can install TeamSpeak, as I'm currently using an Ubuntu machine as my main home PC for learning FGFS.

I work from home and am well used to using Skype for talking to my colleagues up in Aberdeen.

My experience on the Vulcan goes as far as an understanding of the radio and intercom systems, but I do have some detailed cockpit photos if they will help at all.

The idea of a cold-war fly together is great! V-bombers, Lightning, and what about Buccaneer, Phantom, Sea Vixen, Hunter, Canberra, Gnat, Harrier, Javelin, etc... fantastic when you look back at the aircraft types that existed in that era, compared to now... oh dear, I've gone into a halcyon daze.. back to reality!

As for tinkering with aircrew equipment models, what software do you use? Blender perhaps?

Cheers, Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jul 2016 22:07 #29574 by Algernon
Roger that, I think most of us use Blender for 3D model work, although I think there are a few who prefer other programs.

One of my main non-aircraft projects at the moment is a script called Scenesetter which extends FlightGear's built-in scenario capability and allows you to park static aircraft models and have real multiplayer aircraft take the place of the statics when they load in (facilitating custom aircraft parking per scenario), and set date, time, weather conditions and more. One of the test scenarios I'm using is an RAF Cold War air day, as we have a pretty big complement of aircraft of that era - I think we have all the ones you mention, although some are more advanced in development than others. It's possible I might be taking over as lead fixed-wing developer, as our hangar is now getting pretty big and Stuart wants to concentrate on helicopters, so I'll be going through them all and finding out if any need attention. It would be great to do a 70s and 80s fixed wing and rotary wing air show for one of our Saturday flight nights.

I'm also planning to try using a Linux distro to run FG in future, I'm finally sick and angry enough with Windows to make the switch. It is apparently the way forward for FGFS, as they aren't putting much effort into the Windows port in the future...

08 Jul 2016 06:30 #29577 by ScottBouch
I've used Ubuntu and Mint quite a lot, and prefer Mint...

Ubuntu is more pretty pictures and swooshy graphics, suited to office / general users, Mint looks a lot more basic, but has less overheads, and is more suited to technical users.

Good luck with taking on fixed wing development!

Cheers, Scott

08 Jul 2016 06:47 #29578 by StuartC
[quote="ScottBouch" post=29573
The idea of a cold-war fly together is great! V-bombers, Lightning, and what about Buccaneer, Phantom, Sea Vixen, Hunter, Canberra, Gnat, Harrier, Javelin, etc... [/quote]

We have them all except the Gnat. A much more detailed Bucc S2B is an ongoing project.

20 Jul 2016 18:26 #29893 by ScottBouch
Just thought I'd point out one coincidence linking this game to my collection of flying helmets ..,

Post: fguk.eu/index.php/2013-09-03-13-01-02/ne...ds-uk?start=20#29552

Between us collectors we have a general term to sum up all items of flying clothing, egress systems etc.. that teem is "flightgear"!

So now I have two quite different interests with the same name!

Cheers, Scott

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds