Hello thought I might register here

11 Nov 2018 13:43 #40858 by ChrisL
You may have seen me flying FlightNights over the last months.

My FlightGear callsign is G-LEEM.

I have been looking for a decent helicopter simulation, and FlightGear and the range of helicopters in the FGUK Hangar here have satisfied my craving. Previous to this other simulations were lacking...

I found FGUK.tv from searching through youtube for helicopter tutorials, I used to watch live on Saturday nights watching these expert pilots flying all kinds of aircraft, all sorts of countries, all sorts of weather. Then as my competence as a pilot grew I joined a flight in Hawaii (I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself...) and enjoyed it and didn't crash, I did get lost slightly... but that was the start.

I run Ubuntu Linux and compile the latest versions myself. I do not have the best computer hardware but running lower graphic details gives me a good experience. I use a Xbox360 controller to fly everything, using a heavily modified joystick nasal code found in these forums.

Currently reading the FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook.

Be seeing you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vodoun da Vinci

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Nov 2018 14:26 #40860 by Algernon
Welcome! Even the best of us crash or get lost once in a while :) It's been fun having you along on the flights.

11 Nov 2018 15:12 #40861 by StuartC
Welcome to the nuthouse.

I mostly still fly using my FC helicopter control box wired through USB into the PC. Gives me a very accurate set of flight controls all at my finger tips. I do have a full set of proper heli controls as well ( Cyclic, Collective, Pedals etc ) but as FG still has issues addressing all the bits properly I don't use them in FG all that much ( requires a custom XML for each chopper ).

13 Nov 2018 12:51 - 13 Nov 2018 13:01 #40889 by ScottBouch
Hi, welcome,

Another Linux user! Yay!

I'm rubbish with helicopters, but have built some custom hardware for fixed wing, interfacing FGFS using the serial protocol. Most of my attention is actually on development rather than flying.

www.scottbouch.com/flightgear-sim-arduin...ometer-joystick.html

Cheers, Scott

13 Nov 2018 13:59 #40890 by hans05
Welcome Chris! Nice to see another Linux- AND heli-friend :-)

13 Nov 2018 16:24 #40891 by Avionyx
Great to see you here Chris.
I've always used Linux (Manjaro) for work but kept to Windows for FG until recently and have been running FG Purely on Ubuntu for the past month or so and I've never had such a smooth FlightSim experience, wish I'd done it years ago.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds