Planning Your Mission

04 Oct 2012 07:15 #4067 by StuartC
Im up for it, but always remember we have pilots of varying levels taking part. Complicated missions might put some pilots off taking part.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Oct 2012 11:22 #4072 by Vodoun da Vinci
I'm always up for a challenge and have the same concerns as Stuart....fortunately we seem to have a pretty competent group as a core.

A specialized area helping promote and advance the Saturday Evening Fun Fly/Adventure would be a good thing.

I think the key to sucessful and fun Saturday Events is the right mixture of challenge and fun.

VooDoo

04 Oct 2012 11:53 #4075 by Algernon
I'm not thinking of complicated, necessarily, but perhaps unpredictable. A Combat Air Patrol, for instance, which would be directed onto a target to intercept an airspace intruder at short notice. If I was running it, for instance, I'd control the scenario, enemy aircraft etc. and one of the more experienced flight leaders would lead the squadron. Not difficult, just a bit different.

Anyway, that was really just a conversation starter. My main point was, a sticky thread about mission planning would be a good place for existing flight planners, and people who might like to give it a try, can talk about scenario building, model resources, that sort of thing.

05 Oct 2012 00:28 #4085 by Vodoun da Vinci
I have long wanted to have AI scenarios available over MP. I have designed several Bombable Scenarios specifically for the day when we can all see the same group of fighters transgressing out airspace in real time.

Which reminds me that I need to get Bombable reloaded and tested on FGFS 2.8 and get back in touch with it's inventor. ;)

I think a forum section relegated towards improving mission planning, flight planners and the like would be a great idea.

VooDoo

05 Oct 2012 07:13 #4088 by rafdave
until MP scenarios become avaiable it shouldnt be to difficult to do more involving static "Targets"

Sub huting? SAR?

It only then relies on everyone starting the scenario before the launch FG.

Hopefully it will only be limited by imagination soon

05 Oct 2012 14:29 #4093 by Neilson
there is a sub model in FG some where, not sure if it works, i will have to hunt it down.

05 Oct 2012 14:42 #4095 by StuartC
can easily aquire one.

05 Oct 2012 14:53 - 05 Oct 2012 14:56 #4096 by Algernon
There are obviously inherent problems with models which move being used in scenarios at present. Whilst a stationary ship, such as in Dave's plan, is fine, if you have a moving model, its position will differ depending on when you started the scenario, ending up with everyone seeing the model in different positions. To do something like a sub hunt would require a different approach, using multiplayer with some tweaks. That's not to say it can't be done! :)

I've got an idea how it could work, using a 'control' instance of FG a bit like with an MP tanker. It's a really interesting possibility, allowing us to plan missions with unknown factors (such as the location of a sub, or a crippled boat in a SAR situation) - obviously, if you used plain old MP, you'd be able to see the location on the multiplayer map and pilot lists, which would kind of spoil the fun!! ;) I'll see if I can formulate my thoughts into a coherent post in a little while...

AI scenarios using Bombable and multiple aircraft would be very sophisticated and a job for someone with much more Nasal and MP knowledge (i.e. probably not us right now). But something more basic might not be too challenging...

05 Oct 2012 23:19 - 06 Oct 2012 00:42 #4107 by rafdave
you should be able to lock the file for the AI scenario and password protect

That way the creator would be the only one who would know where or what it is :)

There by the destination of the mission or even what we are looking for hiden until the last minute

Dave

06 Oct 2012 00:06 #4108 by Vodoun da Vinci
Yes, the basic problem of using an AI scenario over MP is that everyone will see the target (if it is moving) in their own scenarios locations and they could be miles apart.

Not to discourage using this..just be aware that we are all seeing our own AI scenario and we are not "interacting" on the target.

VooDoo

06 Oct 2012 12:57 #4116 by Algernon
The idea I had was to have a multiplayer 'mothership' instance running, possibly invisible, i.e. without a model, in a fixed location and then use connected models remotely controlled by some Nasal, following very basic patterns. If these models are part of the FG base package, you wouldn't need the participants to download anything and thus give the game away, and they would be visible as models but their location would not be given away by the MP map or pilot list. It's would only really work for things like a drifting life raft, or a submarine or ship, as an aircraft would probably be quite difficult to program.

06 Oct 2012 15:37 #4120 by Vodoun da Vinci
Ooohhh...I like this idea!! :) Hide and Go seek with AI models!

VooDoo

07 Oct 2012 15:01 #4131 by Neilson
Just for fun.

I had a play with this and put Bombable in it.
It kind of works, need some more time experimenting with the Bombable code.

I know this cant work on multiplayer, the idea was to make an airport with AI buildings, that could be destroyed.
Plus doing a bombing run with anti air guns cold be cool, and maybe flac.

It has a AI xml, and the model goes in AI aircraft.
Attachments:

07 Oct 2012 15:24 #4132 by Vodoun da Vinci
But if we all were running Bombable and the buildings were in the same location we would all get the effect!

Great idea, Neilson! :cheer:

VooDoo

18 Nov 2012 00:02 - 18 Nov 2012 00:02 #4885 by Neilson
I have been thinking about a flight i would like to do.
Maybe 1/12/12

Start off in C-17 Globemaster III with a CH47 Chinook in the back.

Get to a location and unload the CH47 Chinook for the ground crew to set up.

Then fly the CH47 Chinook some where planes cant go or land.

Could do it as a just for fun mission, or a humanitarian supply drop or evacuation.

Any ideas would be welcome.

18 Nov 2012 00:16 - 18 Nov 2012 00:40 #4891 by Neilson
Start at EGWU RAF Northholt London, home base for the C-17.

Then fly to EGVO RAF Odiham, home base for the CH47, to load them on to the C-17.

Then fly to Cumbria EGNC Carlisle to unload the CH47

Then to Cockemouth, to help with a flood.

18 Nov 2012 01:16 #4893 by Neilson
The route

The route manager set up

I need to test it.

I am going to use this for exiting London
www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslig...-2_en_2012-01-12.pdf

18 Nov 2012 01:53 - 18 Nov 2012 02:27 #4894 by Neilson
This is Cockemouth in Flightgear

The RED zone is for the supply drop.

18 Nov 2012 03:42 #4895 by Neilson
The C-17 part

15 Jan 2013 21:35 - 15 Jan 2013 21:36 #6414 by Neilson
This place in the Alps looks like it could be a good chase night.

LIPB

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.653 seconds