Planning Your Mission

23 May 2014 11:29 #15674 by Avionyx
We haven't had a free session in a good few weeks. Might be nice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2014 12:39 #15677 by Algernon
Gary's got it up now. But no doubt there will be a free session on Sunday, and perhaps the following Saturday could also be a goer? I have another Operation Brazen scenario in the pipeline, but it'll take a couple of weeks, and I also have another multi-part theatre idea coming along, called something like Global Flag :) Maybe we should have another go at operating a pre-arranged schedule a few weeks in advance, if Tom also has something to do?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomaskom

23 May 2014 12:57 #15679 by Tomaskom
I have two ideas for a flight, both moderately developed, so next week would be about right for me :)

"There are no problems in the air. The only problem is hitting the ground."

23 May 2014 13:37 #15681 by thebroons
I have an idea for a future flight too, but would want to develop a scenario for it (at which I am really shite). If anyone wants to do some of the leg work in that area, I could get summat together for a future Saturday....

Volunteers PM me!

G

Any stairway is a stairway to heaven if you’re clumsy enough.
If your shirt isn’t tucked into your pants, your pants are tucked into your shirt.
Your stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed.
Most of the sky is actually below your feet.
The object of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

23 May 2014 13:45 #15682 by StuartC
I have a fully planned night ready as well, but due to my life timming meaning I need to depart mid flight for 15 min, it needs to wait ether till june, or the winter again.

23 May 2014 14:26 #15685 by Algernon
June's not that far away now, and there are a few options to fill the schedule before then...

Gary, scenario building seems to be a bit of a skill in itself, but they can be invaluable for FlightNight design. Maybe we could start a new subforum, or use the "Planning your mission" thread, to discuss the technical issues around building a FlightNight scenario? Or maybe there needs to be a private subforum where regular flight leaders can work on plans and scenario files together, without giving the game away?

23 May 2014 15:49 #15687 by Algernon
To be honest, with scenarios, the easiest way to learn is probably for use to accumulate a few "templates" which cover a wide range of AI possibilities, which others can then cut and paste from...

24 Oct 2014 18:57 #19068 by thebroons
Please note, all flight planners!

Again, there is a mismatch on when the clocks change this fall between the US and UK.

UK, Netherlands change - Sunday, October 26, 2014, 2:00:00 AM clocks are turned backward 1 hour to Sunday, October 26, 2014, 1:00:00 AM local standard time instead

USA change - Sunday, November 2, 2014, 2:00:00 AM clocks are turned backward 1 hour to Sunday, November 2, 2014, 1:00:00 AM local standard time instead

Plan accordingly, and for the next couple of weeks re-emphasize UTC

;)

G

Any stairway is a stairway to heaven if you’re clumsy enough.
If your shirt isn’t tucked into your pants, your pants are tucked into your shirt.
Your stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed.
Most of the sky is actually below your feet.
The object of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

24 Oct 2014 19:20 #19070 by Neilson

30 Dec 2014 22:36 #19954 by Tomaskom
What is the nearest unallocated Saturday flight? I have one ready :)

"There are no problems in the air. The only problem is hitting the ground."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avionyx

30 Dec 2014 22:55 #19956 by StuartC
1oth January Tom.

02 Jan 2015 14:20 #19992 by legoboyvdlp
Is the 17'th free?

02 Jan 2015 15:39 #19995 by Avionyx
I believe so.

Get something up if you have a plan.

06 Jan 2015 09:18 #20082 by StuartC
Im going to add this.

When planning a flight, use tried and tested aircraft in your plan. Picking random stuff from the Flight gear universe might look like a good idea, but a lot of aircraft barely fly and somewhat dampen the fun of the flight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vodoun da Vinci

06 Jan 2015 21:36 #20098 by Vodoun da Vinci
I'd like to add that as far as FGUK FlightNight is concerned, we need to kind of "understand" what FlightNight is all about and remember that the primary idea is camaraderie and using FlightGear to exploit the MP environment to that end. It's about allowing a bunch of FGUK aficionados (and guests of course!) to all get together and share over MP and experience that environment as a group and enjoy FlightGear, FGUK, virtual flying, new places and the thrill of being in the same virtual space with other MP pilots.

It's supposed to be fun and simple and I realize that "simple" and "fun" are relative things and variable from one guy to the next. But the gist is to make a simple fun plan and invite friends to party. If you find yourself planning a mission you should be having fun doing that but also realizing that the more complicated we make it the harder it becomes to make it a weekly flight. Think simple, think fun and easy.

Having run a few of these and, in fact, invented FGUK FlightNight along with a couple other wonderful folks I'll give you some advice for planning a mission. KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. :woohoo:

It takes a lot to get a dozen FGFS aficionados from all over the world coordinated at the same time so refrain from searching high and low for weird aircraft. The FGUK hangar has arguably the largest selection of FGFS ready aircraft, tried and true, tweaked and fussed over, with outstanding livs and features like advanced FDM's and Sound and Nasal Scripts that fellow FGUK aficionados have cumulatively spent oodels of time on. Whenever possible refrain from planning FlightNights that require participants to scour the 'Net and download a bunch of aircraft that may or may not have had any attention or TLC applied to them. The FGUK Hangar is chock full of great stuff already tested and ready to go. Whenever possible, please simplify the flight preparations by using aircraft from this source and specify them. It'll save lots of valuable time *and* it prevents us having to exit the game and download/chase down aircraft we may never use again when the flight is already 10 minutes late to avoid seeing Blue Gliders.

Just a KISS idea from your old Uncle VooDoo! :)

VooDoo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neilson, Avionyx, enrogue

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds