FlightNight - 17th November - Neds!

11 Nov 2019 22:31 - 16 Nov 2019 18:26 #43769 by Algernon
This week, we'll be right neds (or their aviation equivalents), making a nuisance of ourselves in the Scottish Highlands. The route will start and end at FGUK's home base of Llanbedr (EGOD) with a refuel and refreshment stop at RAF Lossiemouth (EGQS).

To be a proper nuisance, we'll be flying at near supersonic speeds along the Caledonian canal and back again, with supersonic stages over the Irish Sea in both directions. Average speed will be 500kts at both high and low altitudes - this means just over Mach 1, so make sure your aircraft can handle it. It's a distance of about 300 miles each way, so hopefully fuel won't be an issue. However, there is a steep climb or two involved, so plenty of thrust would be a bonus.

A Route Manager route will be available, as, I hope, will a scenario which will set time and weather conditions - the weather will be seasonal, with potentially high winds and maybe even rain in some places. It might also be getting on for dusk as we near home.

Irresponsible flying is encouraged - remember the FGUK motto: Fly it like you stole it!

More information, maps and flight resources to follow.

UPDATE: Owing to potential frame rate problems at Llanbedr (EGOD), we will now be meeting at RAF Valley (EGOV) instead. We'll meet on the Sparrowhawk Apron (called Hawk_Start_East_Apron) - as soon as you spawn, please move (in line with Rule Three) immediately to the parking line astern of your aircraft (you'll see the yellow guides and a few ground power units). We'll be taking off from Runway 13 then turning north.

I'll make the Route Manager route available before 1800 GMT once it's been adjusted to reflect the change of venue.

DOWNLOADS:
Leg 1 RM Route
Leg 2 RM Route
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC, thebroons, Vodoun da Vinci, enrogue, J Maverick 16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Nov 2019 09:34 #43776 by Algernon
Oh, as we're starting from EGOD, might it be an idea to claim a parking spot in this thread, to avoid unwanted mounting...? Rule Three could be tricky to obey in our limited apron area...

12 Nov 2019 13:48 #43778 by Avionyx
I'll go in the Hangar then :D

12 Nov 2019 14:09 #43779 by Avionyx
The Jag decided it wanted to get in the mood for the evening. #amidoinitrite?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC

12 Nov 2019 17:28 - 12 Nov 2019 17:28 #43785 by Algernon
Aww! It looks just like its cousin, the Highland Shortbread biscuit tin!

14 Nov 2019 20:21 #43815 by Vodoun da Vinci
Lots of us can't run the custom EGOD Scenery as it trashes frame rates. I mean....really bad.

I'll likely be flying the SU-27 with a fix on the MP sound levels and hope to have a link to that tonight or by end of day Friday.

VooDoo

14 Nov 2019 23:43 #43821 by Vodoun da Vinci
Never Mind. I give up. I'll fly something else...:(

VooDoo

15 Nov 2019 20:08 - 15 Nov 2019 20:10 #43832 by Algernon
Really? I didn't know that. And sorry, I just checked in on the forum... Can those people who have frame rate issues at EGOD let me know - if a significant number of them intend to come on Saturday, we can move the base airfield to RAF Valley (EGOV). But VooDoo... are you telling me you have issues with framerates on your new kickass system?!

And what do you give up on? The SU-27 sound levels?

15 Nov 2019 20:14 #43833 by timi
The custom scenery is generated at the max available accuracy from the tools.
It's actually pretty ridiculous. But it was a test at the time to see what's possible.
I should generate it again at some point with more sensible settings.

The problem seems to be at the airport though. It gets better further away for me
at least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

15 Nov 2019 20:24 #43834 by Algernon
I just checked this out with Stuart. I've never had issues with EGOD and frame rates, but apparently it's a thing. And he reckons moving to EGOV would still have the same issue, just viewing in a different direction.

So I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed.

15 Nov 2019 20:27 #43835 by Algernon
Cool, thanks Timi. Stuart thinks the issue is not related to terrain - it's the same for the advanced custom or the stock - perhaps it's something to do with our local models. But as I say, I can't reproduce it on my system so I'm clueless about where to start looking for an issue.

15 Nov 2019 22:33 #43839 by Avionyx
Why aye man, the solution is obviously over on Teeside..perhaps?

15 Nov 2019 22:39 #43841 by Porcius
I've just installed 2019.1.1 and put the latest 'EGODarea' in and I'm missing the super hangar and tower etc, however terrorsink is enabled and has placed 'other' buildings at areas around the strip.
On a plus note - the fire station is intact...…..

Porcy

PS fps is approx. normal

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

16 Nov 2019 00:06 #43844 by Vodoun da Vinci
Gonna Fly this SU-27: drive.google.com/open?id=1A5vZ_7klKXS2SvhjHgqowC3rS5cjvKJ_

I tried installing EGOD Scenery and it just dragged me to death. I'll try it again this evening.

VooDoo

16 Nov 2019 08:01 #43846 by Algernon
That's so weird... VooDoo, would you mind trying out Valley (EGOV) and see if you have problems there too? If not, we'll go there - but if so, perhaps we'll have to look at Northern Ireland...

Teeside is a good shout, except that I already have waypoints and flight directions set up from the Irish Sea, so I'd rather not have to rework my whole flight plan if possible.

16 Nov 2019 09:43 - 16 Nov 2019 11:16 #43848 by enrogue
I won't be able to make it as I'm out tasting drinking whiskey tonight :)

I just checked the EGODarea & it's working ok for me on my 6 year old iMac (NV GT750M) - it depends on the aircraft though, but I checked with voodoos SU-27 i& it seems fine (I don't have all shaders at max on the iMac as it causes stuttering)

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that EGODarea is the 1st item in the Scenery path - dunno what else could be affecting it

I can check if it affects my other test machines, but I doubt it will help - they are Intel HD620 & AMD Vega 8 based both running Linux

EDIT: I did a quick test & the only thing that affects frame rate for me is Detailed Pylons & Powerlines - I normally have this off. On the iMac the effect is small (5fps or so) but on the 2 test machines it drops by 15fps - they are both integrated graphics & using open source drivers though, so this might have nothing to do with your issue - sorry

16 Nov 2019 14:09 #43849 by J Maverick 16
I don't have issues at EGOD, everything works fine. It just requires some work in adjusting the .stg file for it.
I'll either fly Richard's F-15 or my F-16 available here: github.com/NikolaiVChr/f16
mav

Breakin' the sound barrier every day!
Oh God, that's EGOD!

FG 2020.1.1 - iMac 27" (Mid 2010) w/ macOS 10.12.6 - Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar

16 Nov 2019 14:52 #43851 by Vodoun da Vinci
Are we talking about custom scenery or the Terrasync download scenery? My Terrasync Scenery is perfect and fast. My custom versions all have one or more fatal flaws - I get heli pads *or* correct concrete/building but not both - and I get horrible frame rate even on my new super monster machine depending on where I look. I can't use the custom scenery but I'm working on it.

VooDoo

16 Nov 2019 14:56 - 16 Nov 2019 14:57 #43852 by Algernon
Stuart told me that it's not dependent on custom or stock scenery, but it IS dependent on which way you look.

And I think what he means is terrain - both terrains cause problems. So perhaps it's the models that have the issue, affecting both terrains. One way or another, for simplicity's sake, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that using Valley is the best way to go (perhaps taking EGOD custom models out of the equation, just in case it's still in range, as Stuart suggested). There will likely be more apron room there anyway - I'm going to check it out when I get a few moments in about an hour...

16 Nov 2019 15:57 #43853 by Vodoun da Vinci
Single digit frame rates on approach to 17. Not bad otherwise if I don't look inland - still about 1/2 the rate I get anywhere else with Custom Scenery.

Used to being pegged about 60 fps- I get 23ish at EGOD.

I'll be in Slot 2!!

VooDoo

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds