FlightNight Sat. Feb 22 - Warbirds in Grand Canyon

20 Feb 2020 17:03 #45106 by Vodoun da Vinci

We'll meet at 8PM London Time at ICAO: KGCN - Grand Canyon National. Please bring the Warbird of your choice from the FGUK Hangars. The first part of the flight will be to follow the Grand Canyon at low altitude and speeds of around 250 KIAS....the Way is treacherous so choose something that is you feel confident with at low level and high speeds.We will follow the Canyon and end up at ICAO: KLSV - Nellis AFB where we will break for fuel and refresh.

After refresh and refuel we will leave Nellis and climb to 24500' and head West to ICAO: KPMD - Palmdale Regional USAF Depot. Speed at cruise altitude will be roughly 230 KIAS and you wan't keep up unless you learn to balance your prop pitch, mixture, and throttle/manifold pressure. Most Warbirds start at full rich mixture and fine prop pitch and you will not climb fast enough nor maintain airspeed at 24K' without manipulating these settings - M/m for mixture - N/n for pitch.

Comms on TeamSpeak as always: www.fguk.me/forum/radio-comms/20-team-speak3-server-details

Practice a bit if you can. If you can't deal with tail draggers then I have replaced the P-39 with daVinci_P-39Q-25 which is a tricycle and flies rather nicely. Ground handling is simple. And, yes, we have flown the Grand Canon before and we have been to Nellis before so we can call this a repeat flight.

Still hope to see as many as possible! Sorry for the late posting....RL has been brutal this week.

VooDoo
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon, StuartC, Avionyx, J Maverick 16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2020 08:18 #45108 by J Maverick 16
Nellis and Palmdale... On the same flight...
VooDoo your are next level badass. :woohoo:
Spitfire for me as usual.
Mav

Breakin' the sound barrier every day!
Oh God, that's EGOD!

FG 2020.1.1 - iMac 27" (Mid 2010) w/ macOS 10.12.6 - Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar

21 Feb 2020 22:59 #45126 by Vodoun da Vinci
I'll be unable to attend Saturday so you guys can proceed without me or someone else can plan an impromptu flight.

Sorry for the late notice.

VooDoo

22 Feb 2020 10:53 #45131 by Avionyx
Hey VooDoo,

Are you ok if I try run this one? Sounds like a lot of fun, I won't know the route but if we slow it down a bit I might be able to work something out.

Don't want to tread on any toes though if you'd rather head this one up later on.

Alex

22 Feb 2020 13:48 #45134 by Porcius
This is just my opinion - do not read too much into it :

To be fair Alex, I would say that as VooDoo has done all the work already, you should probably try to make your own FN ; unless Voodoo is absolutely good with you stepping into his shoes ?

Don't forget a 'Free Swim' is still an option - the weather in the UK is still 'iffy' so real weather flying is going to be 'fun' others may prefer 'sunnier climes' as the last few weeks in the UK has been bollox.

I wish I could step in but I can't, so just throwing some ideas out-there.

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

22 Feb 2020 14:27 #45135 by Vodoun da Vinci
I'm perfectly OK with anyone using my planning and running the flight...it's pretty easy and the run thru the canyon can be done fairly easily at 240 KIAS and still make it to Nellis for break time.

It's a repeat flight anyway and we'll do it again someday.

The trip from Nellis to Palmdale can be done at lower altitude easily....say 12-14K'

VooDoo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Porcius

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds