RIAT

09 May 2012 11:10 #2035 by Orange5ive
I'm not sure if this has been done before but I was thinking we could reproduce the Royal International Air Tatoo

We could have a few members on ground videoing maybe one in the air.

we all have a rough time slot to take off from fairford, learn the routines and demonstrate an aircraft whilst recording cockpit view. (fly in formations etc)

we then get a video editing whizz to whack it all together and someone with a clever voice to do the commentary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 May 2012 11:24 #2036 by StuartC
interesting idea, its not impossible to do ether.
anyone got a roster of what flying at this years RIOT?

09 May 2012 23:51 - 09 May 2012 23:55 #2050 by Vodoun da Vinci
I'm in for video or flying or editing. :)

Might be difficult to get more than one or two folks with video/capture ability at any serious resolution if we are gonna make a serious video attempt. Good pilots we have aplenty.

I'm interested!!

Hell, I'm considering attending the *real* Tatoo!!

www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircraft/aircr...irbus-Military-A400M

VooDoo

10 May 2012 08:52 - 10 May 2012 08:58 #2055 by Algernon
Yeah, VooDoo, you should totally come over for that!!

The way to optimise video from the ground is to have a "bloke" aircraft, which is literally just a guy on the ground who can move about rapidly and look up at aircraft. With such a simple "aircraft", computer response and FPS at least will be maximised. I'm hoping to be in a hardware position to do serious video capture within a month or two, and would be up for it...

It's been a while since we had an organised area-based fly-in!

10 May 2012 11:00 #2057 by Vodoun da Vinci
....not to throw a wet blanket on the "multiple videogaphers" concept but sharing the video we capture to be compiled/edited to one location might get difficult. I have wanted to share some captures intact as full resolution .avi files that I capture in 1920X1080 widescreen lossless RGB. But sharing stuff on the order of 2 -5 gig is very difficult to host and make available for download.

The file sizes are on the order of 1 gig per 40 seconds or so. :blink:

I easily shoot 30 or 60 gig of video to get 3 - 6 minutes of usable clips to make a movie. Sharing large files of this type is really hard to do without burning them to DVD and putting them in the mail.

Just sayin'. not nay sayin'...

VooDoo

10 May 2012 11:07 #2058 by Algernon
Yeah, I remember you saying this before, and I agree. I was more thinking of multiple videos, rather than putting them all together into one big one, but then using some modern video online coolness to compile all the mini videos into one big video fest - for instance, a YouTube channel. So long as all producers follow some basic conventions, use the same credits graphics, that kind of thing, it ought to look like a nice slick collection of on demand videos, rather than one big long one. Also this way, if there was a particular shot one person filmed, and another wanted to use it, they could request it - a ten or fifteen second shot might not be such a killer to download...

10 May 2012 11:25 #2062 by Vodoun da Vinci
That works for me, Algy. Or, we could all burn our good captures to DVD and all meet at a central location (The Bar) and swap files. B)

That might get a little difficult to arrange and finance though.... :woohoo: :pinch:

VooDoo

10 May 2012 13:56 #2068 by Avionyx
C'mon VooDoo, you have to come over for RIAT, it'll be a.... well. You get the idea.

More than happy to provide you with a room to stay in and transport if you do make it.
Apparently some silly sporting event later this year is making all the hotels rather expensive!

10 May 2012 14:09 #2071 by StuartC
Id love to visit RIOT at some point. Also Farnborough.
While I was at EGOD, they used to do a ferry flight down to Farnborough , but it stopped due to budget cuts, and I never got.

11 May 2012 21:19 - 11 May 2012 21:21 #2136 by Vodoun da Vinci

www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircraft/aircr...de-havilland-vampire

Not sure of all the aircraft that will be present but this is one of them.

VooDoo

17 May 2012 15:16 #2220 by StuartC

28 Nov 2013 14:27 #12404 by thebroons
Did this, or a similar plan, die on the vine?

Would be cool to do something like this. I'd be happy to try and get something going in a couple of months or so, if there's still interest. Also, if it's a go, what format or emphasis do we want? RIAT like? Farnborough / Paris show like? Could also be an event post-web site relaunch…

Thoughts?

G

28 Nov 2013 15:17 #12406 by Algernon
The plan to get VooDoo over here? Yes, it wasn't a goer because of his whip-cracking employers.

This year, I'll be at most airshows but probably not very much at liberty, as I'll most likely be required on the BBMF stall...

28 Nov 2013 16:44 #12407 by thebroons
Oh Algy…

The original post was to do a FG group airshow… While most regrettable that Voodoo's employers, festering piles of MRSA infected pus-y scabs that they are, deep sixed the proposed visit, I'm on about the virtual airshow idea.

(NB pipe water rots yer brain :P )

G

28 Nov 2013 17:32 #12411 by Avionyx
I'm in for a Virtual RIAT.

What Era do we do though?

28 Nov 2013 17:57 #12412 by thebroons
For a virtual event, I was thinking maybe something like the Eastbourne international Airshow which is by the seaside, has a good mix of aircraft from different eras….maybe use the lovely Manston as the show airport… :)

That way, folks can switch up to different aircraft types they like with the biggest variety. It would be good tho' to consider limiting the aircraft to FGUK models (shameless self promotion).

More thoughts or comments, declarations of interest, that sort of thing? ;)

G

28 Nov 2013 18:09 #12414 by Avionyx
Manston sounds good to me.

Perhaps we could have aircraft flying in from past and present operating bases around the UK? Tornado and Phantom from Lossiemouth, Victor from Marham, Chinooks from Odiham, that kind of thing?

28 Nov 2013 23:47 #12418 by Neilson
I am up for this :)

29 Nov 2013 14:42 #12429 by Algernon
Oh yes, I'm definitely up for that! :)

15 Jan 2014 12:08 #13067 by Algernon
I did a bit of creative moderating and lopped off the last five posts of this thread to start a new, dedicated discussion about the airshow - the season is in sight! Please use that thread for posts specifically about this year's airshow.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds