Aircraft Carrier Catatpults

17 May 2020 16:39 #46664 by enrogue
OK it's not entirely the FGR.2

There is an issue with the Ark Royals deck being made of lots of triangles - it bumps the gear on launch & disconnects the launchbar - cat-2 was affected much worse than cat-1

in the test model currently connected to the demo I've coped over the catapult deck from the truman & resized it which gives the nosewheel something to run on

The other thing is that YASim FDMs launchbar force is configurable via a property - it defaults to 2.5G (0.25 in the prop or if not defined), but can be configured up & down according to the aircraft (or carrier if you used nasal for that matter)

I'm going to do some more testing with how narrow the cat-deck can be - got it flinging FGR2 off the deck at 200kts engines idle at the mo :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 May 2020 21:35 #46687 by enrogue
Right - I've added catapult-decks to both catapults on R09, it should launch the FGR2 unmodified

There are minor height differences in some of the parts of the deck - this is what is causing the issues

cat-2 is slightly longer so it gets the aircraft up to ~130 kts engine off - cat-2 is about 120kts without modifying the launchbar acceleration

any bigger aircraft I should test or is the Phantom the biggest/heaviest?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon, StuartC, Porcius

18 May 2020 06:53 #46693 by StuartC
Phantom was the biggest ever launched from a UK carrier.

18 May 2020 07:14 #46694 by enrogue
Phantom FG1 catapult launch specs:

Weight: 44600lb
Speed: 129kts

It's a shame we can't do nose gear extension in YASim - I have an idea how to do it, but it needs a bug fixed first

Did the FGR2 have the catapult fittings & nose gear extension of the FG1?

18 May 2020 07:52 #46695 by StuartC
It did. The FGR2's were initially tested on US carriers. Te Avionics and war load were different on the FG1 - FGR2.
After the new FGR2 is up and running, im going to convert it down to have the FG1 as well. The model changes are fairly simple on it.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds