daVinci_Wraith Quick .Gif's

21 Jan 2020 23:01 #44545 by timi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vodoun da Vinci

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jan 2020 00:59 #44546 by Vodoun da Vinci
OK, I have it in game and flying. Parked the new Space Station in space over Italy and launched Wraith. Sweet. Holy. Nigel. I peed a little and then shot an hour of video while I docked in the Port Bay...

This was all I could Gif tonight as I'm now too excited to sleep. Holy shit, folks. This is gonna work really well when I get her rolling. Wow!! Massive eye candy! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Way more to come in another thread.

VooDoo
Attachments:

22 Jan 2020 03:08 #44547 by Algernon
Wow! That does look AMAZING, even before it's spinning!

How did you park it in orbit? As an AI model in a scenario?

22 Jan 2020 10:05 #44548 by geed
Excuse my language, but - FUCKING AMAZING! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

22 Jan 2020 11:53 #44549 by Vodoun da Vinci
Gotta get lights on the Ships and get the Space Station rotating ASAP......too much fun.

Algy, all of these creatures are flying with a version of the UFO FDM. So parking them is a matter of laying in an altitude and heading and "driving" them to an orbital position and then turning off the forward speed. They just sit there until you give them throttle again.

In the video I shot they are actually moving very fast they are just matched in speed at like 300 miles up.

Way too much fun for Old People. :silly: :woohoo:

VooDoo

22 Jan 2020 12:31 #44550 by StuartC
Heres an Idea.

To "Dock", if you use the Deck lock system I use on the ships, you should be able to land on a docking pad and lock on.

22 Jan 2020 13:30 #44551 by Vodoun da Vinci
Cool idea! :)

What's the best way to impart rotation in The Station? An animation? I was thinking like a tire/wheel animation (spin) but done slowly on the whole station. But then I have to figure out how to get it to show over MP....:pinch:

I'm obsessed with flying and shooting video....need to calm down and stay at the coding. :sick:

VooDoo

22 Jan 2020 13:36 #44552 by StuartC
Well to spin correctly the spin would need to be fast enough to introduce centrafugal gravity effect to those on the station.

22 Jan 2020 15:02 #44553 by Algernon
The problem with using the spin animation is that it won't necessarily be synchronised over MP, so docking won't look very good. We need to use a rotate animation, and have the rotation angle visible over MP.

I'm trying out a couple of scripts now...

22 Jan 2020 16:09 #44554 by Vodoun da Vinci
I wonder if that could be done in the FDM?

VooDoo

22 Jan 2020 16:21 - 22 Jan 2020 16:27 #44555 by Algernon
I think it might actually be a job for some FDM hackery, but perhaps at a later stage. I reckon a good first step is to get it into an AI scenario as an orbital AI model - that way, when coding, you only need one instance of FG and you can focus on getting the right look, a neat animation solution and some sweet video!

Once that bit looks right, we then figure out how to emulate it using the FDM. I figure if it's an orbital station, you'd want to automate all changes of position anyway and only use the FDM for simulating the rotation and orbital position (assuming it's geosynchronous)...

22 Jan 2020 16:51 #44556 by Vodoun da Vinci
Initially I'd like to leave it as a full blown aircraft and not turn it into an AI Object with a Scenario. I'd rather just someone fly it and position it. I'm running multiple instances last night and getting huge frame rates so far *but* I was having some issues with the Wraith (chase aircraft) being visible from the Station. Also had some issues with having the Station disappear when viewed from certain angles which was really odd.

So I'll be exploiting that tonight and in coming days.

VooDoo

22 Jan 2020 17:04 #44557 by timi
I wonder how the ISS docking thing is done?
www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?19086...ear-Visiting-the-ISS

wiki.flightgear.org/Flying_the_Shuttle_-_Orbital_Operations
This topic says:

"Don't try to ignite thrusters while docked - you will yank ISS around...
When you're done, use Ctrl+U to undock and separate slowly before
igniting any thrusters."

I think the above would suggest some kind of FDM interaction?

22 Jan 2020 17:11 #44558 by Algernon
OK, well then you basically just point the property in the FDM that controls roll to a property in _set.xml with a preset value - probably low, something like 0.01 to start. You can then tweak this until it's rolling how you want it to.

From the aircraft's perspective, you're obviously going to see the stars rotating - but I figure you'll need to do some view work anyway on something so big and non-standard, so this can be fixed if it's undesirable or disorienting.

You won't be able to simulate actual physical docking, I think - allowing the space station to rotate another aircraft - though I'm pretty sure you can fake it pretty well!! ;)

22 Jan 2020 17:14 #44559 by Algernon
Bear in mind this would probably make controlling it quite difficult though! If this happens, then put the roll back as it was, and we'll look at a script to make a smooth 360 degree interpolation and transmit that as an MP property. This is perhaps the better option, and also simpler I think...

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds